Re: Campus Deployments

Will Froning wrote:
> As a follow-up to the hardware question, I've got some deployment questions.
>
> I've got tons of questions so if willing, please post some details about your environment:

I've been testing a 5-node multi-server install on old hardware.  I'm
planning to deploy on two EMC Clariion cx3-20's with 10 Dell m605 blades
distributed in two data centers with various fail-over options.  We're
looking to be in full production by October.

        zproxy0:   blade w/ 1 dual-core opteron, 2G RAM, 73G RAID1
	zsmtp0:    blade w/ 1 dual-core opteron, 4G RAM, 73G RAID1
	zldap0:	   blade w/ 1 dual-core opteron, 8G RAM, 73G RAID1
	zstore0: balde w/ 2 dual-core opteron, 8G RAM, 73G RAID1
		   and dual-fibre mounts to SAN
	zstore1: blade w/ 2 dual-core opteron, 8G RAM, 73G RAID1
		   and dual-fibre mounts to SAN

One store server will be for students and the other fac/staff.

I would then have the same as the above in a second data center with
different hostnames (s/0/1/g).  The second data center would have
servers load sharing except for the store servers who would sit idle for
DR recovery (aside from updates, syncs and backups).

I plan to have sync repelled LDAP and share the load via two MX or A
records.  The second store servers would mount the second Clariion for
fail over and get their updates via EMC SAN copy until Zimbra 5.5's
server-to-server sync feature.  If I can get them synchronized nicely
I'm considering doing the backups on the secondary store servers so that
the active accounts wouldn't need to go into maintenance mode.

> 1) Anyone using HSM for cost management?

Yes.  We normally run mail on fibre disk but are purchasing SATA for use
with HSM.  We'll likely move mail older than 30 weeks to the SATA.

> 2) What are the quotas?

1G.

> 3) Do you give students/staff/faculty the same COS?

No.  We're probably going to go with with Students, FacultyStaff and
other.

> 4) Do you have mobile licenses (number of users on it)?

Yes.  The cheapest option on our overall deal was for us to get 1,000.

> 5) Any BES servers?

No.  We've been testing with Notifylink.

> 6) Number of Mailboxes?

4,500.

  John
- --
John Fulton, Linux Administrator, Lafayette College ITS
610-330-5650, Pardee Hall Room 11, Easton PA 18042-1775