Re: Zimbra + IMAP

Hi Steve,

We are also currently in the process of investigating Zimbra to replace our current Mirapoint install.  I don't think IMAP would kill your Zimbra setup, but I don't have any direct experience with high-volume Zimbra+IMAP either.  IMAP is a relatively light protocol and fairly efficient at allowing remote access to email.  Currently, we support IMAP for around 35,000 users with Mirapoint and see fairly heavy use with minimal impact to our servers.

However, with respect to IMAP+Zimbra, I can offer a few pointers:

 1) Supporting only IMAPS (Secure IMAP) from the start, and not allowing standard IMAP connections will save you the nightmare of having to transition IMAP users to IMAPS in the future.  As Internet security concerns rise, we are facing with the massive problem of turning off our IMAP services in favor of IMAPS.  It is especially hard since the majority of our users have non-secure IMAP "programmed" into their client configs.

 2) I think that the functionality of the Zimbra web interface will naturally draw users away from IMAP.  Currently, our WebMail interface is a bit lacking, so our users tend to look to IMAP-based desktop clients to fill in the gaps.

Hope this helps!
-Rob

--
Rob Thompson, Systems Analyst