Re: Expected performance of importing mail?

----- "Freddie Cash" <fjwcash@gmail.com> wrote:

> I would have to say there's either something wrong with the SOAP
> interface, or something wrong with your setup.  Using imapsync
> running
> on the Zimbra server, we were able to migrate 250+ MB mailboxes in
> just over an hour.  (As this was just a test box, we didn't keep
> stats
> on the migration, other than it took a couple hours for really large
> accounts.  The largest was just under 2 GB and took just over 4
> hours.)

Hmm. If a 250MB mailbox took you about an hour, then you were actually getting worse performance than I am.

250mb/3600 = 70k/s.  On tests I've run on a 10mb folder containing just over 600 messages, it takes 54 seconds - that's just over 10 messages per second, and about 200k/s. I don't consider either of these to be stellar though.

I ran another test last night where I did two imports in parallel (of different subsets of folders), both to the same account and got somewhat better performance -- about 8-9 messages/second for each import.

I also ran a test against one of my test servers, which is the same hardware, but uses an NFS-mount for /opt/zimbra instead of iSCSI. Again, same performance. The test server is also OSS, so doesn't contain bits like "convertd".

Oh well..I've said from the outset of this project that I'd like to put a development environment up on Solaris to diagnose any tough performance issues. I guess this might be the motivation I need to build it (thanks to the work of 'dijichi2' on the Zimbra forums for porting the OSS version of Zimbra to Solaris)

--
Steve Hillman                                IT Architect
hillman@sfu.ca                               IT Infrastructure