Re: Expected performance of importing mail?

On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 10:02 AM, Steve Hillman <hillman@sfu.ca> wrote:
>  ----- "Freddie Cash" <fjwcash@gmail.com> wrote:
>  > I would have to say there's either something wrong with the SOAP
>  > interface, or something wrong with your setup.  Using imapsync
>  > running
>  > on the Zimbra server, we were able to migrate 250+ MB mailboxes in
>  > just over an hour.  (As this was just a test box, we didn't keep
>  > stats
>  > on the migration, other than it took a couple hours for really large
>  > accounts.  The largest was just under 2 GB and took just over 4
>  > hours.)
>
>  Hmm. If a 250MB mailbox took you about an hour, then you were actually getting worse performance than I am.

Yes, but look at the hardware difference between your setup and mine.
Yours should be several orders of magnitude faster.  :)  If I can do a
250 MB mailbox in an hour using IDE disks on a RAID5 via a 100 Mbps
connection, you should be able to do a lot more than that.  That was
my point.  Not the pure numbers.

A 3x improvement from a lot better hardware points to a performance
issue somewhere.

--
Freddie Cash
fjwcash@gmail.com