Re: Performance Tuning

Hi Tim,
To add to some of the excellent comments, so far, one other thing to watch is your setting in zmlocalconfig for mailboxd_java_heap_memory_percent. The tuning guide suggests setting it to 40. In our configuration (4 mailstores, 16 GB RAM each) we actually had to tune that back to 25. We found that when the mailstore would go into garbage collection mode, going through ~8 GB RAM was sufficiently time-consuming that people would notice Zimbra "hanging" during GC. The zmstat-chart command has been a real lifesaver, for us, too.

--
Tom Golson
Senior Lead Systems Engineer

Tim Ross wrote:
Hi All,

We have been on a tight deadline for our Zimbra go-live, which is happening over Labor Day weekend, and haven't had the time to do much in the way of performance/load testing.  We purchased servers which were about twice the Zimbra recommended specs, so we are not too concerned about hardware.  What I would like to know is if any of you out there who have either gone live or done some performance testing have any tips on settings which have helped out your setups.

Our general setup is 3 mailstore/app servers, 1 logger server, 2 MTA servers, 1 Master LDAP server, and 1 Replica LDAP server.  There are dual quad core Intel Xeon X5450 processors on all but the logger server.  We have 16 GB of RAM on the mailstore and ldap servers and 8 GB on the MTAs.  We have Red Hat Linux 5, 64 bit on all boxes.  The logger server is a virtual server with 2 virtual CPUs and 4 GB of RAM.

We have gone through the Perfomance Tuning Guidelines page on the Zimbra Wiki (http://wiki.zimbra.com/index.php?title=Performance_Tuning_Guidelines_for_Large_Deployments) and plan to implement a number of the recommendations there.

---
Tim Ross
Application Administrator
Collaboration Support