Re: the new zimbra+iphone with active sync... what version of zimbra does it need?

You really want at least 5.0.8 plus a hotfix, which brings iPhone ActiveSync support to "beta 2" quality. If (like us) you don't want to go to 5.0.9, ask support for the zimbrasync.jar patch mentioned in bugzilla 30538. If you have a large number of iPhones, 29899 can become a problem for your server, not just your clients.

Bug 29899 - iPhone 2.0 + Zimbra Mobile Sync can cause high CPU usage for large mailboxes
Bug 30304 - VersaMail 3.5 does not sync mails
Bug 30538 - VersaMail 3.5.4 does not sync mails

For syncing multiple calendars -- a feature unique to the iPhone, since Apple embraced and extended Microsoft's protocols to do things that Windows Mobile can't -- I believe you need 5.0.9, but that has a number of unrelated regressions preventing us from going forward. Unless you have a critical need for kerberos or multi-server proxy fixes, I think 5.0.8+zimbrasync hotfix is the best ZCS version available.
--
Rich Graves http://claimid.com/rcgraves
Carleton.edu Sr UNIX and Security Admin