ZFS

On a related note to the LVM thread, I'm curious if anyone has implemented
a storage backend using ZFS for Zimbra, whether it be on Solaris,
FreeBSD, or even MacOS X Server.  (I guess this would be similar to using
a NetAPP filer.)

I'm just wondering if this would make things like snapshots and backups
simpler, seeing how ZFS snapshots are nearly instantaneous and unlimited
in number.  Basically, all the things that are wrong with LVM+FS are
non-existent in ZFS.

For example, put 24x 500 GB SATA drives into a 5U enclosure, put FreeBSD
onto CF with the the 24 drives in a ZFS raidz2 pool (gives just under 10
TB of usable space), and then share those out via NFS.  Use separate
boxes for the Zimbra hosts, using the NFS shares for storage.  Or maybe
even iSCSI instead of NFS.

We're using FreeBSD and ZFS on our remote backup server, and must say that
it is a much nicer/simpler storage management system than any Linux, LVM,
RAID, MD, FS setup we've come across.  (As an aside, our backup server
remotely backs up every file on over 70 servers around the district,
every night, with nightly snapshots, and super-quick file and system
recovery, with approx 2 GB of data changing between snapshots, all in a
server that cost $10,000.  Gotta love FreeBSD, ZFS, and Rsync.)

--
Freddie Cash
fjwcash@gmail.com