Re: Zimbra with Sun Directory, ... Solaris?

On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 3:48 PM, Bill Moss <bill.moss@nyu.edu> wrote:
> Zimbra can authenticate against a Sun Directory, what keeps it from
> supporting Sun Directory as its main LDAP store?

Personally I wouldn't see a huge advantage to this.  Sure it has an
LDAP server, but that is treated as an internal data source, and don't
see much reason to change that.

> What is likelihood for Zimbra to support Solaris?

I just asked our account rep about this, again.  Answer still the
same: not enough business incentive to do so.  Meaning, not enough
commercial customers have made enough noise to demand it, so it hasn't
happened.

> I ask because I'm guessing we're not alone in having significant
> infrastructure built around Sun Directory and Solaris Sparc. Adopting Zimbra
> (for us) would be a much easier prospect if Sun Directory, Solaris, or
> ideally both, were supported.

Same with us, and despite Sun having a rough spot with the economy,
we're in no hurry to dump all of our Solaris systems.  We're still
very happy with Solaris and it has served us well as a key enterprise
OS.