Re: anyone gone to 5.0.10 or 11 in production?

"Gerrit Bos" <gbos@uoguelph.ca> wrote:
> upgraded from 5.0.7 to 5.0.11. Last UI changes were implemented this
> morning.
>
> Some lessons learned:
>
>     • IMAP needs more threads under this release

Hmm, I haven't noticed this, though we have fewer users overall and fewer still on IMAP. The help desk people here insisted, quite wrongly on both points, that Outlook 2007+ZCO was stable and appropriate for all Windows users. So folks who at another institution might be using an IMAP client are using Zimbra web here.

>     • Customizations beyond the two graphics have to be carried
> forward manually. We brand the environment with Gryph Mail and have
> updated some titles and text with that. Saving those and copying them
> in place did not work because there were significant changes.
>     • Some system-type files were overwritten when we didn't expect
> them to. (Crontab entries, some system parameters, sudo permissions)

I have been able to avoid/anticipate pretty much all such issues by, *immediately* after each new ZCS release, taking a SAN snapshot of production /opt/zimbra (on our Compellent SAN, this is easy and has essentially no performance overhead on either production or test); upgrading that snapshot in a virtual environment; and performing local QA for several weeks, on real user mailboxes. End result, I think I've been upgrading ZCS more frequently than most of you, and with less user impact. If your infrastructure doesn't let you do that, consider what it would take to get there.