Re: High-volume server settings

We have 4 mailbox servers with about 12,000 users on each so far. It wasn't until we did our student migration over Christmas (which took us from 10,000 total users to 42,000) that we had to tweak our thread counts. The HTTP threads weren't even really obvious (and I'm still not 100% sure we were running out), but it *seemed* to make a difference to web snappyness when I doubled them to 500.

The IMAP thread count was more obvious - when we hit the limit, IMAP clients would hang for 10-60 seconds trying to get a connection while a thread became free. Once we doubled the IMAP thread count (we don't have a lot of IMAP users), the problem went away.  But since IMAP connections are held open, it doesn't take many IMAP users to exhaust your threads.

If your servers are sluggish or unresponsive, the problem is probably one of two things - memory or disk. More memory == less disk reads (doesn't help writes much). We run with 32gb on each mailbox server and give MySQL 14gb. Right now, that's theoretically enough for the entire mysql database to fit in RAM

We have a shelf (14 drives) of fibrechannel disks dedicated to each mailbox server for db and index storage. The 'store' space runs fine off of SATA drives

--
Steve Hillman                                IT Architect
hillman@sfu.ca                               IT Infrastructure