Re: 6.0.4 upgrade done

"David P Emmerich" <dpemmerich@eiu.edu> wrote:

> Lastly, we hit an issue with our ssl certs getting wiped

Us too, during every test upgrade and in the production run. The certs went either to self-signed or, more frequently, to an older (expired) version of the production cert that I haven't been able to find on disk anywhere. Have your certs and know how to run zmcertmgr before starting the upgrade.

We never had SSL problems during 5.x upgrades, either.

Oh, 2 other gotchas to be aware of:

 - The second mailboxd restart after lots of people have reloaded lots of iCal feeds in a 6.x context can take a *very* long time due to bugzilla 35688, which is to be fixed in 6.0.5: http://www.zimbra.com/forums/administrators/35776-solved-6-0-4-takes-21-minutes-accept-port-443-a.html

 - If you want backups to run as they did in 5.x, with hardlinks across full backups, you need to add --noZip to crontab manually. The new silent default for zmbackup is --zipStore. This is in the release notes, but so are lots of other things. I had missed this in the release notes but, fortunately, saw it in Zimbra's web forums shortly before our upgrade.

The process was:

  Deny user connections with firewall rules
  zmcontrol stop
  Take SAN snapshots
  Upgrade 5.0.19 to 6.0.4 on existing RHEL 4 (**SSL broken**)
  Fix SSL with zmcertmgr; zmmailboxdctl restart to verify
  zmcontrol stop
  Take SAN snapshots
  Run libexec/scripts/optimizeMboxgroups.pl (in tests, this showed substantial improvement; running it took 90 minutes for 3K users with 2TB mail)
  Halt Linux
  Pull the (local) RHEL4.8 mirrored pair of boot disks and replace with a RHEL5.4 pair (on which the 6.0.4 RPMs already installed)
  Run install.sh to "upgrade" from 6.0.4 (RHEL4) to 6.0.4 (RHEL5) (**SSL broken again**)
  Fix SSL with zmcertmgr
  Take SAN snapshots
  Local hacks to login page, etc., then rm -rf ~zimbra/jetty/work/ (make our hacks override precompiled JSPs)
  zmcontrol restart
  QA
  Open firewall
--