Re: Poll: Is your GAL Internal, External, or Both?

We are using external GAL, for two reasons - one, syncing external data to Zimbra GAL need extra work and add a point of failure, two privacy issue. External GAL has access control on attributes that a user can set, such as phone number. Zimbra internal GAL does not have it.

Zimbra GAL sync load has been an ongoing issue, especially when PeopleSoft has changes that affects large number of accounts. We use dedicated external GAL servers just for Zimbra so that other services that use central GAL are not impacted by Zimbra's GAL sync and lookup.

Xueshan

--

Xueshan Feng <sfeng@stanford.edu>
Technical Lead, IT Services, Stanford University