Re: Mail.app DoS

We have experienced this.  When it happens, we put the account into
maintenance mode for a minute, then take it back out.

We are considering creating a swatch rule that triggers putting the
account into maintenance mode.  If you can catch it early enough, the
load doesn't get a chance to rise, and it can be handled quickly and
silently (from the perspective of the user, and all the other users).

We've also seen this happen with one particular publication
subscription.  When emails arrive from this particular publication, and
a user clicks on the message using an IMAP client (Thunderbird or
Mail.app), we get the same result.  We call it an "IMAP Frenzy".

-Brian

--
Brian Elliott Finley
Manager, Application Platforms - Infrastructure and Operations