Re: public folders?

On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 1:45 PM, Amos <a.goo0h@gmail.com> wrote:
> Perhaps like some of y'all, we were previously using CMU Cyrus for our
> IMAP/POP service for students.  Now we're mostly finished with migrating all
> of our Cyrus personal inboxes over to Zimbra.  However, one sticking point
> is with shared ("public") folders.
> Setting up public folders in Zimbra is a bit messy for the following
> reasons:
> 1) Since there's no concept of public folders, you have to create an
> account, and then share the public folders from that account.  Typically,
> though, we've tended to just create another account for every public folder
> we need, then share out the inbox for that account to those that need it.
>  However, that chews up licenses!

Use resource accounts instead of full-fledged accounts.  Mail is still
delivered as per-normal, but it doesn't use up licenses.  These are
shared resources, after all, and not e-mail accounts.

> 2)  No per-user read flags.  This really bites because it means if one
> person reads a message in a shared folder, it's marked as read to others.
>  We're used to having the read flag state being per-user, and attempting to
> change that paradigm has caused a lot of grief.

Yes.  :(  This, and the lack of tags on shared folders, is a real
downer for using Zimbra in collaborative environments.  This is
supposed to be fixed in Zimbra 7 (or is it slated for 8?).  There's a
couple of bugs about this, with lots of action recently.

--
Freddie Cash
fjwcash@gmail.com