Re: Scheduled Archive or Deletion of Email

I built two of those (not for mail, and I suppose you would call it version 1.0,
which held about 60TB of storage each)...

A word of caution, unless you can not swing it, pay full price and buy the power
supplies that they use. We wired our own, which added a lot of time and pain onto
the project. No matter what, buy the chassis and backplanes they offer (or have links to).

All in all it was an interesting project that gave us 120TB for about $8000 (this was
a few years back). On a funny (?) note, the dealer with the best price on drives sent
every one of them in a small factory cardboard box. I think I spent two hours unpacking
drives, then cutting up boxes to put in the recycle bin.

OpenFlier vs Debian... not sure, personal choice I think. The RAID of RAIDs was ok,
but I think with todays cpus it would perform much better than it did when we built
ours. I would get as much cpu power and ram as possible, as building and repairing
120TB raid arrays with no hardware raid can be time consuming. Not sure if it would
be quick enough for /opt/zimbra/store, but it would easily do HSM. I think backblaze
gets the speed by using a distributed filesystem across the servers themselves.

Just my $0.02, delete if off topic.

--
Robert Minvielle
University of Louisiana at Lafayette