From: "Steven Premeau" <spremeau@uwm.edu>
To: "Steve Hillman" <hillman@sfu.ca>
Cc: "zimbra-hied-admins" <zimbra-hied-admins@sfu.ca>
Sent: Wednesday, November 16, 2011 11:04:20 PM
Subject: Re: Zimbra servers on VMware

Steve -

     UWM has been running with virtualized mailbox servers since last April.
After our upgrade to version 6, our account density (approximately 13,000 per
mailbox server) and usage pattern created a bottleneck in the MySQL DB.

     We had being using servers with 16 cores and 32GB of ram, configured
entirely as boot from SAN (we have a [Dell]Compellent SAN).  We transitioned
each of those physical machines to three virtual machines, each configured to
respect a NUMA boundary.  After increasing the memory in each server to 48GB,
we had NUMA nodes that were 4 core and 16GB.

     We put a 4 Core and 12GB VM in each node, initially starting with three,
but having the capacity to add the fourth when growth warrants it.  Nodes with
those resources were sized for approximately 6,000 users at our usage level,
and it seems that number is fairly accurate, the initial signs of the
bottleneck can show up as the accounts get closer to that number.

     We connected the storage via VMWare's NPIV mode -- I'm a little
disappointed in how it's currently implemented by VMware, but it does allow us
to manage storage on a "per mailbox server" level even though the machines are
VM containers.  The goal was to continue to manage storage at the SAN level,
and not add the abstraction of VMDKs into the mix.   Theoretically, we would
be able to boot the mailbox servers from any server (physical or virtual) that
we are able to map the volumes to, which at the design time was one of the
critical DR requirements.  (Not sure it is so much today.)

     At this point, we have not virtualized other portions of the
infrastructure -- mostly because there's not a performance need.  It would be
next on our list for Zimbra, but it's not being actively pursued because our
campus is about to start an RFP process for email and calendar functionality.

     At this point, I'm on the hardware/infrastructure side of the house, so I
don't know all the application details any more ... but if you'd like to have
a more detailed conversation about our experience, I can probably arrange such
a conversation.

     In general, we did it because we *had* to reduce density, and we were
able to double our [projected] account capacity utilizing the same hardware --
so I would declare it a success.

Steve.

--
Steven Premeau, Operations Support Supervisor&  Data Center Manager
University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee