From: "Steve Hillman" <hillman@sfu.ca>
To: "zimbra-hied-admins" <zimbra-hied-admins@sfu.ca>
Sent: Friday, December 7, 2012 12:43:40 PM
Subject: Re: audit.log to syslog

Hi Tim,
  Note that the steps as outlined in AJ Cody's blog will send all syslog events to the 'SYSLOG' logger definition. That definition is for a single syslog facility (e.g. "Mail", "Local0", or "Auth). So if you've configured SYSLOG to go to local0 then your Audit lines will be mixed in with everything else in Local0. If you want your Audit stuff to go somewhere else, define another syslog logger in your log4j.properties. E.g:

log4j.appender.SYSLOG_AUTH=org.apache.log4j.net.SyslogAppender
log4j.appender.SYSLOG_AUTH.SyslogHost=loghost.example.com
log4j.appender.SYSLOG_AUTH.Facility=AUTH
log4j.appender.SYSLOG_AUTH.layout=com.zimbra.common.util.ZimbraPatternLayout
log4j.appender.SYSLOG_AUTH.layout.ConversionPattern=mailboxd: %-5p [%t] [%z] %c{1} - %m

..and change your log4j.logger.zimbra.security line from SYSLOG to SYSLOG_AUTH

(sorry if this was obvious and you've already tried this)

Justin

Thanks for the reply.  Unfortunately, both of those steps are part of the steps that AJ Cody had documented.  I have both those changes set on our server.  Those changes still don't cause the log entries which go to audit.log to be captured by syslog.  Is this working on your Zimbra setup?  If so, did you make any special adjustments to your /etc/syslog.conf file to capture the audit.log info?

Tim Ross
Application Administrator
Enterprise Applications Group
(805)756-6226