Zimbra 8 and Java

Is anyone yet running Zimbra 8 in a test or production environment?  In my very limited testing so far it seems that Zimbra 8 has a Java requirement, because when I launch the Zimbra 8 Advanced UI my JRE starts up with the little icon in the taskbar.  Maybe it's just one of the default Zimlets?

Which brings me to my next issue.  Due to the recent high profile Java vulnerability, some in the industry and here on my campus are pushing for disabling Java browser plugins across the enterprise.  That introduces all sorts of problems, but I'm most interested in a couple things specifically.

1)  Is there a requirement in Zimbra 8 for the Java plugin?

2)  Unrelated to Zimbra.  Are any of your schools considering disabling, or have you already disabled, the Java plugin in browsers?  If so what has been the fallout if any?

Thanks,
Matt Mencel
Western Illinois University