Thoughts about Email Marketing Solutions?

I thought this might be a good place to ask the question.  It's not directly related to Zimbra, but if done incorrectly I can see this negatively impacting our Zimbra system.

Our Alumni department is looking for an email marketing solution so they can create email marketing campaigns to alumni, track statistics like delivery rates and click backs, and whatever else you do with that kind of marketing software.  The current in house solution they use, JES2Mail, is not meeting their needs.

I'm concerned about getting blacklisted....especially if they were to choose some shady offsite hosted solution.  But I also want to help them if possible and provide input.  I'm definitely not an expert in email marketing and what ramifications it may have on our network or domain, whether it's hosted here or offsite.

Are any other schools using any kind of packaged or open source email marketing solutions?  Any services you recommend?  Or should I avoid this at all costs?

Thanks,
Matt Mencel
Western Illinois University