MSFHR Connections | Summary of Research Programs Consultations

The Office of Research Services has received the following information which we are passing on to our list members:

September 2016

Summary of research programs consultation

Between May and July, MSFHR staff travelled across BC to engage with a broad cross section of researchers, health professionals and administrators. Our aim was to better understand how our funding programs can meet the needs of BC’s health research community.

Thank you to everyone who made the time to attend. We’re grateful for the feedback we received, and we wanted to share with the broader research community a summary of the key themes that surfaced through these meetings.

Samuel Aparicio (2014 Aubrey J. Tingle Prize winner) has been named fellow of the Royal Society of Canada as part of the life science division. This is the highest honor a scholar can achieve in the arts, humanities and sciences in Canada.

Jehannine Austin (2007 Scholar) has been named a member of the 2016 Royal Society of Canada’s College of New Scholars, Artists and Scientists.

Connie Eaves (2003 Research Unit) is the recipient of the Chew Wei Memorial Prize in Cancer Research for her contributions to understanding the stem cells of normal blood, the mammary gland, leukemia and breast cancer.

Peter Leung (2001 Scholar) is the recipient of the 2016 John McNeill Excellence in Health Research Mentorship Award for his accomplishments as a research scholar and mentor, and the extent of the impact his mentorship has made on his many trainees.

Julio Montaner (2010 Aubrey J. Tingle Prize winner) has been appointed a University Killam Professor — the highest honour UBC can confer on a faculty member — for his outstanding teaching, research and service to the community.

Martin Taylor (former MSFHR Board Chair), executive director of the Canadian Research Data Centre Network, has been appointed as a new fellow in the Canadian Academy of Health Sciences.

Follow Us