Newsletter: BioCanRx - February 2017 (Vol. 2, Issue 1)

Title: BioCanRx Newsletter - February 2017 (Vol. 2, Issue 1)

The Office of Research Services has received the following information which we are forwarding to our e-mail list members:

The latest information regarding the BioCanRx research network and biotherapeutic research.
View this email in your browser
| FUNDING OPPORTUNITIES |
  BioCanRx rolling, open call for funding
   Deadline: March 1, 2017

Other funding opportunities currently available:

  Prostate Cancer Canada: Movember Discovery Grants
   Deadline: February 15, 2017
| PROJECT PROFILE |
Sometimes the whole is greater than the sum of its parts
By Heather Blumenthal

Radiation? An essential tool, but has its limitations.

Immunotherapy? Promising, but not necessarily sufficient for every patient.

Put the two together though – and there is the potential for a new way to fight metastatic prostate cancer that no longer responds to hormone therapy.  And, adds Dr. Julian J. Lum Assistant Professor at the University of Victoria and Scientist at the BC Cancer Agency, this two-pronged approach is likely to be more effective than either strategy on its own.

| HQP PROFILE |
Teaching cancer biotherapeutics in the North
Inspiring the next generation of researchers
By Curtis McCloskey, Ph.D. Candidate, Vanier Scholar

It takes far less than 6 degrees of separation to find someone who has been affected by cancer. Humanity has been waging a war on this dark menace for centuries and I believe we are finally at a point where we will see a rapid and robust increase in the new treatments available thanks to the advent of cancer biotherapeutics. I’ve always found the immune system particularly interesting, maybe it was watching The Magic School Bus or Bill Nye the Science guy or due to the many great science teachers I’ve had. Now four years into my Ph.D, or grade 21 as I usually joke, I’m studying in the lab of Dr. Barbara Vanderhyden at the Ottawa Hospital Research Institute.

Read more...
| TRAINING PROGRAMS AND OPPORTUNITIES |
Training Programs:

Summer Studentships – stipend support for undergraduate or college students working with network
  investigators

  Funding: $6,000 / 14-weeks
  Deadline: February 24, 2017

HQP Travel Awards – travel support to attend external training and educational events identified by HQP
  (ie. conferences, workshops, etc.)
  Funding: Up to $1,000 CAD
  Deadline: Various throughout the year

Lab Exchanges – travel support for knowledge and technology exchange between research labs or
  industry

  Funding: Up to $3,000
  Deadline: Various throughout the year

Seminars/Workshops:

SMRTS Webinar Program - Understanding Patents in the Academic Environment
  This presentation will review the fundamentals of patent protection and the patent process in the context of
  commercializing innovation in the academic environment. In particular, considerations for the strategic creation of
  patent protection, the management of costs, and the common patent issues that arise in the academic
  environment will be discussed.

  When: Friday, Feb 10, 2017 1:00 PM EST
  Register: Here

Working with Patients to Inform Early-phase Cancer Clinical Trial Design Workshop
  This workshop will outline what patient-oriented research (POR) is, how it is used to inform and impact clinical trials currently,
  how BioCanRx intends to conduct patient-oriented research to inform cancer clinical trial design, and provide ways for patients
  to get involved.

  When: Wednesday, Mar 8, 2017 1:00 - 4:00 PM EST
  Register: Here

External Opportunities:

BioTalent Canada: BioSkills Recognition Program
   Deadline: February 10, 2017

You can find information about training, education and career opportunities at the BioCanRx Training website.
| BOARD OF DIRECTORS |
Welcome to Dr. Christine Williams, BioCanRx's newest member to our Board of Directors

Dr. Williams is Deputy Director of the Ontario Institute for Cancer Research (OICR), which focuses on translational research in prevention, detection, diagnosis and treatment of cancer.

Learn more…
| EVENTS & OPPORTUNITIES|
cancer summit, cancer conference
Summit for Cancer Immunotherapy 2017

Registration
Summit registration is open - register before April 19, 2017, for the Early Bird Special
Final Registration Deadline: May 17, 2017

Abstract Competition
Funding: Travel, accommodation and meals reimbursed by BioCanRx
Deadline: March 1, 2017

Pancanadian Strategic Forum on Cell & Gene Therapy
CellCan | March 9-10, 2017 | Montreal

WorkshopWorking with Patients to Inform Early-phase Cancer Clinical Trial Design
This pre-event workshop will outline patient-oriented research.
When: Wednesday, Mar 8, 2017 1:00 - 4:00 PM EST
Register: Here
  •  Travel support for CSA members
     BioCanRx is excited to provide travel support to Cancer Stakeholder Alliance members,  located outside of Montreal, interested in attending and engaging at our workshop. Please  register and then use this form to express your interest for travel support, space is limited.
           Deadline: February 17, 2017

Other upcoming events and opportunities:

Innovative approaches to optimal cancer care in Canada
CPAC | April 7-8, 2017

Science Odyssey - Ten days of discovery and innovation
May 12 to 21, 2017

ARCC Conference 2017
May 25 to 26, 2017 | Toronto, ON
| IN THE NEWS |
Watch BioCanRx's own Dr. Kelley Parato discuss cancer research on CTV Ottawa with the Ottawa Regional Cancer Foundation: Here
Network members: Feature your research here by sending us a link to your recent publication!
Two infants treated with universal immune cells have their cancer vanish
MIT Technology Review | January 25, 2017

Bodywide immune response important for fighting cancer
Stanford Medicine | January 19, 2017

Immune responses against a virus-related skin cancer suggest ways to improve immunotherapy
ScienceDaily | January 17, 2017

Analyst says Celyad takes lead in CAR-T for solid tumors as THINK trial gets underway
FierceBiotech | January 13, 2017

Immunotherapy gives hope to some cancer patients
Toronto Sun | January 7, 2017

Copyright © BioCanRx, All rights reserved.

Be a part of the BioCanRx community! Please send news and information to:
Danielle Jones, Officer, Communications and Marketing, BioCanRx
Email: djones@biocanrx.com

Our mailing address is:
501 Smyth Road, Box 611, Ottawa, Ontario K1H 8L6

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list