GEN Update May 31, 2000

Global Educators' Network Update
http://www.vu.vlei.com/GEN

Read GEN Updates on the Web:
http://www.sfu.ca/~scurrie/global-educators-network/
To manage your membership, follow the instructions at the end of this message.

Register Now For Our June Seminar: Tools and Needs

1 June 2000 - 30 June 2000
Facilitated by John Nesbit and Rick Rupp

How do the available tools for online learning compare? How well do
they match the needs of users? With evaluative intent, the
participants in this seminar will share experiences with course
management systems and related tools.

This GEN seminar will be faciliated by John Nesbit and Rick Rupp.
John is Manager of Research and Development in Educational Technology
and Learning at Technical University of British Columbia, Canada's
newest publicly funded university. At TechBC John is a member of a
team that developed the course management system now being used for
all courses.

Rick is the senior Software Designer for the Virtual-U Research and
Development team at Simon Fraser University, specializing in software
design and system architecture for computer-supported group
interaction.

This seminar is not just for experienced educators! We welcome and
encourage participation from everyone interested in learning more
about online education.

To register for and access this seminar go to:
http://www.vu.vlei.com/vu/tlnce/PublicReg

Wrapping Up Our May Seminar

"Experiences on the Web" has been an experience in itself! Curtis
Bonk of Indiana University and his colleagues brought us plenty of
good humour and excellent ideas. As always, we are coming away from a
GEN seminar with enthusiasm and many new resources.

The Experiences on the Web seminar will remain available for reading
past the closing date at:
http://www.vu.vlei.com/tlnce

Let's Hear From You

Do you have ideas for GEN seminar topics? Are you interested in
facilitating a GEN seminar? This is an excellent opportunity to gain
valuable feedback from peers on draft articles and other
work-in-progress, and to gain recognition for work in the field. We
are busy planning the rest of 2000 and beyond and would like to hear
from you!

In addition to hosting monthly seminars, the Global Educators'
Network is committed to helping educators form online communities
based on common interests and goals.

Send a message to currie@idmail.com with your ideas for seminar
topics and special interest groups.

Tip for GEN members

GEN members have asked "How do I find out who the other GEN members are?"
Here's how:

* Each GEN seminar is made available to all GEN members.
* Go to the Virtual-U conference environment (where you see the list
of conferences available).
* Click on the "i" icon beside any conference name.
* You will see an alphabetical list of members and email addresses.

GEN update is prepared by:

Sylvia Currie, Coordinator
Global Educators' Network
currie@idmail.com
http://www.vu.vlei.com/GEN

send mail without a subject heading or signature to
         majordomo@sfu.ca
with the following command in the body of your email message:
         unsubscribe global-educators-network

or from another account,
         unsubscribe global-educators-network <your address>

To subscribe to this mailing list,