GEN Update July 15, 2000

Global Educators' Network Update
http://www.vu.vlei.com/GEN

Read GEN Updates on the Web:
http://www.sfu.ca/~scurrie/global-educators-network/
To manage your membership, follow the instructions at the end of this message.

Register Now For Our Summer Seminar

GEN: Reflections & Next Steps
Facilitated by Cindy Xin & Sylvia Currie
17 July -  17 August 2000

The Global Educators' Network was launched in November, 1999 and we
have hosted 10 online seminars on a variety of topics. We have
received very positive feedback from members that they enjoy the open
and flexible format of GEN, the range of discussion topics, and the
opportunity to meet practitioners, researchers, and administrators
from all over the world.

In "Reflections & Next Steps" we will be using some of the tools and
ideas discussed during the March, 2000 Online Participation seminar,
and further explore issues raised in previous seminars, to see what
we have learned about our own participation in the Global Educators'
Network and to plan for the future of this exciting community of
practice. This is an opportunity for us to collectively make GEN a
community that reflects our needs and interests as online educators.
Let's use this time during our summer hiatus to reflect on our
experiences and enhance GEN!

To access this seminar go to:
http://www.vu.vlei.com/vu/tlnce/PublicReg

We're Full of Ideas after our June seminar!

Through our "Tools and Needs" seminar we identified a number of
tools, issues, and needs. In addition, many new GEN members joined in
to share their experiences with course management systems and related
software, and together we generated a whole new set of resources for
making informed decisions about the best tools for our work.

The Tools and Needs seminar is available for reading at
http://www.vu.vlei.com/vu/tlnce/cgi-bin/VG/VF_dspcnf.cgi?ci=45

Tip for GEN members

Would you like to change your online "pen name" to something less
formal, or perhaps to something more suitable for a particular
discussion topic? Here's how:

*Go to the conference environment
http://www.vu.vlei.com/vu/tlnce/cgi-bin/VG/vgstart.cgi
*Select "User Profile" on the top right pull-down menu
*Click on "Customize"
*Enter your new pen name

That's it! This new name will appear in all conference messages.

GEN Member Contributions

*The Report is in!
Prepared by Mary Muscat as partial fulfillment for the "Learning
Networks in Education" course at University of New England,
Australia, this is a review of GEN as a Learning Network. This study
is based on member interviews, participation in the April and May
seminars, and collaboration with other students working on similar
course assignments.
http://www.vu.vlei.com/vu/tlnce/VUusers/genadmin/LNReport.html

*PinkFlamingo's Resources on the Web
PinkFlamingo (aka Kate Britt) continues to gather and organize
resources contributed by our GEN members. Looking for a reference
mentioned in a GEN seminar? Chances are you'll find it here:
http://www.ibritt.com/reference/

GEN update is prepared by:

Sylvia Currie, Coordinator
Global Educators' Network
currie@idmail.com
http://www.vu.vlei.com/GEN

send mail without a subject heading or signature to
         majordomo@sfu.ca
with the following command in the body of your email message:
         unsubscribe global-educators-network

or from another account,
         unsubscribe global-educators-network <your address>

To subscribe to this mailing list,