GEN Update October 9, 2000

Global Educators' Network Update
http://www.vu.vlei.com/GEN

Read GEN Updates on the Web:
http://www.sfu.ca/~scurrie/global-educators-network/
To manage your membership, follow the instructions at the end of this message.

Register Now: Our Next GEN Seminar Begins Today!

Our "Teaching to Learn" seminar responds to feedback from GEN members
for more practical topics geared to novice online instructors. The
seminar faciliators, Deborah Kerr, Walter Greyvenstein, Frances Long,
and Claudio Orea will share what they have learned through their
first-time experiences "teaching to learn" online.

We're also delighted to be able to respond to requests for more
participation on an international level. Walter joins us from South
Africa, and Claudio from Mexico. In fact, Claudio has already been
busy translating the seminar welcome message for the benefit of our
Spanish speaking members.

Whether you're new to online teaching and learning, or experienced in
the field, please join us to share your personal challenges and
practical advice!

Register at:
http://www.vu.vlei.com/vu/tlnce/PublicReg

Wrapping Up Our ThoughtShare Seminar

Our imaginations took us to new levels during our ThoughtShare
seminar! We were introduced to the ideas behind this new visual
thinking technology and explored the possibilities for enhancing our
online experiences. Plus we learned a whole new vocabulary. We look
forward to the future when GEN members will be sharing buzpaks!

There is a window of opportunity to download the first release of
PlanBee. Visit the ThoughtShare web site for details:
http://www.thoughtshare.com

All past GEN seminars are archived at:
http://www.vu.vlei.com/tlnce

Mark Your Calendars!

November 13th is the launch of our "Supporting Students Online"
seminar, led by Rick Nigol, Steve Scadding, and Linda Gibson of
University of Guelph. Mark your calendars and plan to join us to
discuss this important topic.

Special welcome to our "Design Teams"!

Two groups of students enrolled in Dr. Ellen Balka's "Communication
and Social Issues in Design" at Simon Fraser University have selected
the Global Educators' Network as their design project for the Fall
semester. Larry Jung, Michelle Daly, Jonathan Gallina, Shawna
Reibling, Michelle Petrusevich, and Eric Chow have been busy behind
the scenes looking further into members' participation in the Global
Educators' Network and proposing solutions to help make our community
a better place.

The Design Teams may be calling on you for support and feedback,
either through e-mail or in the GEN Research Special Interest Group:
http://www.vu.vlei.com/vu/tlnce/cgi-bin/VG/VF_dspcnf.cgi?ci=51

Welcome and thank you very much for your contribution to the Global
Educators' Network!

Thanks For the Feedback!

We received thoughtful responses and excellent suggestions from the
50 respondents to our GEN Member Questionnaire and we are already
taking many steps to improve GEN format, content, and interface,
based on this feedback. Most importantly, we are pleased that so many
members reported that they are benefiting from the Global Educators'
Network!

Tip for GEN members

As more and more GEN seminars are scheduled, the VGroups conference
list continues to grow. You can make the list more manageable by
following these steps:

[1] Open conference list at
http://www.vu.vlei.com/vu/tlnce/cgi-bin/VG/vgstart.cgi

[2] Unjoin past conferences by selecting "Unjoin Conference" from the
top middle drop-down menu. Click "Do" then indicate which conferences
on the list you would like to remove. Click the "Unjoin" button.

[3] Display only joined conferences by selecting "All Joined
Conferences" from the top left drop-down menu.

Now your conference list will only display your active conferences.
You can easily make them appear again by joining conferences again,
and by choosing different display options from the conference list
pull-down menu.

GEN update is prepared by:

Sylvia Currie, Coordinator
Global Educators' Network
currie@idmail.com
http://www.vu.vlei.com/GEN

send mail without a subject heading or signature to
         majordomo@sfu.ca
with the following command in the body of your email message:
         unsubscribe global-educators-network

or from another account,
         unsubscribe global-educators-network <your address>

To subscribe to this mailing list,