1. Upcoming Seminar Series: Success in Online Learning Communities

Date: 5 July 2001 - 25 July 2001
Moderators: Student Groups, Simon Fraser University

Students in the Linda Harasim's Communication course, Understanding Virtual
Learning Communities: Critical Theory, research, and practice, have been
busy preparing for their first moderating experience. July 5th we will
launch a series of three 1-week long seminars on issues related to "what
makes online learning communities successful?".

Week 1 (July 5-11)
Feenberg's Model for Moderating Online Seminars: Strengths & Limits
Moderators: Derek Yip, Irina Tzoneva, Mike Su, Cong Ly

Week 2 (July 12-18)
How do Moderating Functions Affect the Success of an Online Learning
Community?
Moderators: Leigh Racliff, Gary Fong, Bonnie Kam, Ada Lam

Week 3 (July 19-25)
Identifying New Tools to Support Successful Online Seminars Moderators
Moderators: Diana Bartus, Irena Jeremic, Brendon Chen, Thomas Wong

Each of the three week-long seminars examines a different perspective and
offers empirical evidence and analysis as a framework for getting started.
Please join us for "Success in Online Learning Communities" to consider the
analysis, add your own experience or questions, and build knowledge on a
critical area of social and knowledge development.

We are looking forward to our first GEN seminars moderated by students!

Register: http://vu.cs.sfu.ca/vu/tlnce/PublicReg/
Access seminars directly:
Week 1 http://vu.cs.sfu.ca/vu/tlnce/cgi-bin/VG/VF_dspcnf.cgi?ci=106
Week 2 http://vu.cs.sfu.ca/vu/tlnce/cgi-bin/VG/VF_dspcnf.cgi?ci=107
Week 3 http://vu.cs.sfu.ca/vu/tlnce/cgi-bin/VG/VF_dspcnf.cgi?ci=109

2. GEN @ TAPPED IN

In Part II of our exploration of Virtual Communities of Educational Practice
(CEPs) we had an opportunity to try out some practical ideas and discuss
future activities with our Tapped In colleagues. We now have a GEN Lounge at
TAPPED IN (N2615) and plan to schedule regular events and meetings. Here's a
summary of what we have organized so far:

* Open House
Every Monday and Thursday morning throughout July from 10 - 10:30 a.m.
(Pacific Time) meet GEN members, share your current projects and ideas, and
learn more about GEN activities. Open House is casual, so just come and go
as you please.

* Virtual Field Trips
Are your colleagues interested in learning more about GEN? Consider
arranging a Group Virtual Field Trip by contacting Sylvia Currie
(currie@idmail.com). Your group will be guided through the GEN Virtual-U
Campus.

* Summer Carnival
Mark you calendars! August 8, 2001 is TAPPED IN's annual Summer Carnival.
The day is filled with exciting activities, including a "GEN International
Tour". Join your travel guides, Susanne Nyrop and Sylvia Currie, as we
venture to interesting places and meet members the Global Educators'
Network. Pack some interesting links from your own part of the world to
share in this one hour session. No passport required!

Visit TAPPED IN http://www.tappedin.org (GEN Lounge: Room N2615)

The GEN/TAPPED IN part II seminar is archived at
http://vu.cs.sfu.ca/vu/tlnce/cgi-bin/VG/VF_dspcnf.cgi?ci=91

3. GEN Membership Exceeds 1000!

Over 1000 educators, researchers, students, administrators, consultants and
software developers from 43 countries have registered for the Global
Educators' Network. Most members hear about GEN by word of mouth, so please
continue to spread the word!

4. Tips for GEN Members

For those of you who use "Full Message View" when reading GEN seminar
messages, here is a tip for returning to where you left off after marking a
message as read.

After selecting the "mark as read" button you automatically return to the
top of the page. Look for the line that says "Scroll down to see all message
headers or go to the Current message." Click on "current message" and you'll
get bumped back to where you were in the list.

If you have any tips to share with GEN members, please add them to
GEN: Tips & Resources
http://vu.cs.sfu.ca/vu/tlnce/cgi-bin/VG/VF_dspcnf.cgi?ci=34

5. Manage Your Membership

Have you misplaced your password? No problem! Send a quick note to
currie@idmail.com

Become a GEN member and register for current and upcoming seminars at:
http://vu.cs.sfu.ca/vu/tlnce/PublicReg/

Subscribing and Unsubscribing from this List

To remove yourself from this mailing list,
send mail without a subject heading or signature to
        majordomo@sfu.ca
with the following command in the body of your email message:
        unsubscribe global-educators-network

or from another account,
        unsubscribe global-educators-network <your address>

To subscribe to this mailing list,
send mail without a subject heading or signature to
        majordomo@sfu.ca
with the following command in the body of your email message:
        subscribe global-educators-network

6. About the global-educators-network mailing list

This mailing list is for GEN Updates and occasional announcements. If you
have questions about GEN, would like to propose a seminar topic, or need
help with your password, please send e-mail to Sylvia Currie,
currie@idmail.com

Read GEN Update on the Web:
http://www.sfu.ca/~scurrie/global-educators-network/

GEN Update is prepared by:

Sylvia Currie, Coordinator
Global Educators' Network
currie@idmail.com
http://vu.cs.sfu.ca/GEN/

Free seminars...by online educators, for online educators

Spread the word about GEN. Please forward this message!