GEN Update May 19, 2003

GEN Update
May 19, 2003

http://globaleducators.net

In This Update
1. ShowCase - Certificate in Web-Based Instruction Seminar Begins Today!
2. Upcoming Seminars
3. Virtual High Schools
4. GEN Professional Reading Group
5. GEN Sponsorship Options and Benefits
6. Global Educators Community Connection
7. Online Learning Environment Survey
8. EduSourceCanada Follow Up: CJLT Issue on Learning Objects
9. Manage Your Membership
10. About the global-educators-network Mailing List

1. ShowCase - Certificate in Web-Based Instruction
Dates: May 19 - 31, 2003
Moderator: Lucio Teles

The Learning and Instructional Development Centre at Simon Fraser University
in partnership with TELEStraining has developed an innovative online program
to teach participants to design, produce, and teach online courses. The
Certificate in Web-Based Instruction combines the teaching of both
conceptual and technical skills and participants learn to create their own
online courses using a delivery platform of choice.

In this follow-up to the GEN "Online Courses About Teaching Online" seminar,
we will ShowCase the Certificate in Web-Based Instruction. Register to
attend an interactive presentation led by the program instructors Lucio
Teles and Judith Jensen on one or both of these dates:

May 21 - 1700hrs (PDT)
May 26 - 0800hrs (PDT)
<http://www.sfu.ca/lidc/telestraining/>

And join our 2-week seminar for a more in depth look at the design elements
and goals of the Certificate in Web-Based Training, and what has been
learned from past offerings.

This seminar is facilitated by Lucio Teles, President and Founder of
TELEStraining. As principal investigator for the TeleLearning Network of
Centres of Excellence, Lucio was involved in research on the use of
web-based environments for training, and design of effective multimedia
environments to support learning and training, and continues this interest
in his current work.

Access the seminar directly:
<http://vu.cs.sfu.ca/vu/tlnce/cgi-bin/VG/VF_dspcnf.cgi?ci=234>

2. Upcoming Seminars
Mark your calendar!

Moderating Public Online Seminars
Date: 9 - 22 June, 2003 (tentative)
Moderators: Sylvia Currie and Frances Long
This seminar is sponsored by Webbed Feat <http://webbedfeat.com> and
Knowplace <http://knowplace.ca>

Profession Reading Group Series:
Date: August, 2003 (tentative)
Moderator: Alice Bedard-Voorhees
For our Reading Group Series are seeking sponsorship and purchase discounts
from publishing companies and online book sellers.

Human Resources & eLearning
Date: September, 2003 (tentative)
Moderator: Anglea Hildyard
This seminar is sponsored by University of Toronto

If you have an idea for a GEN seminar, Event, or Special Interest Group,
please contact Sylvia Currie <scurrie@sfu.ca>. Keep those proposals coming!

3. Virtual High Schools
In this 2-week discussion GEN moderator Michael Barbour encouraged a
thoughtful discussion about the design, implementation, and impact of
Virtual High Schools. Plans for a follow-up seminar are already underway!

Seminar archive:
<http://vu.cs.sfu.ca/vu/tlnce/cgi-bin/VG/dspcnf.cgi?ci=230>

4. GEN Professional Reading Group
Do you have a book on your shelf that you reach for often? Would you benefit
from an in depth discussion of recent book releases and articles? As an
author would you be interested in engaging readers in a dialogue about your
work?

Earlier this year GEN member Alice Bedard-Voorhees proposed the idea of a
GEN "Professional Reading Group" and has volunteered to moderate the first
discussion in August, 2003. Please consider leading a discussion which
features books and articles that have made a difference in your work. Send
your proposals to Sylvia <scurrie@sfu.ca>.

5. GEN Sponsorship Options and Benefits
We are making progress in our transition from a community sponsored by
research funding, to a not-for-profit organization. Sponsorship commitments
for three upcoming seminars have been secured, and we continue to pursue GEN
community sponsors in our effort to sustain and enrich our work together.

How can you help?

On our website we are organizing a sponsorship information and
acknowledgement section. Sponsorship options and benefits are listed, along
with a PDF printable brochure, and a flash presentation "walk through" of
the sponsorship brochure. Please join other GEN members in using these tools
to garner support from your respective institutional affiliations.
<http://vu.cs.sfu.ca/GEN/welcome/sponsorship.html>

GEN's future will only be sustained by its membership. Through your
involvement we can continue to offer free seminars and enhance our community
together. All monetary and in kind donations to support the Global
Educators' Network will be acknowledged on the GEN website.

6. Global Educators Community Connection
This section features events that are of interest to online educators. We
encourage our members who visit other communities and conferences to spread
the word about GEN! Thank you to GEN members who contributed events this
month.

@ CADE-ACED
<http://www.cade-aced2003.ca>
Canadian Association for Distance Education 20th Anniversary Conference
St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada
June 7 - 11, 2003

@ NECC
<http://www.neccsite.org/>
National Education Computing Conference
Seattle, Washington, USA
June 29 - July 2, 2003

@ Horizon Live
<http://www.horizonlive.com/aboutus/news/events.php#13?sourceid=27058>
Creating Collaborative Synchronous Exercises
Jennifer Hofmann, InSync Training
Wednesday, May 28, 2003 at 11:00 am (PDT)

@ MERLOT International Conference
<http://conference.merlot.org/conference/2003/>
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
August 5 - 8, 2003.

7. Online Learning Environment Survey
GEN Member John Clayton, an Online Curriculum Designer for the Centre for
Learning Technologies, Waikato Institute of Technology, is seeking
participation in his doctoral research project which explores how learners
respond to the use of connected computers and the World Wide Web in the
delivery of courses and course material.

Your students and other colleagues are encouraged to participate in this
research by completing the survey at:
<http://www.wintec.ac.nz/clt/olles/indexglobal.htm>

If you wish to receive a synopsis of the collated findings, or if you have
questions about this research, contact John at
<ctjfc@wintec.ac.nz>

8.  EduSourceCanada Follow Up: CJLT Issue on Learning Objects
The special issue of the Canadian Journal of Learning and Technology devoted
to Learning Objects is now available online.
<http://www.cjlt.ca/content/vol28.3/>

This issue features the moderators and guests who volunteered their time
during our EduSourceCanada seminar earlier this year. The seminar archive is
available at:
<http://vu.cs.sfu.ca/vu/tlnce/cgi-bin/VG/VF_dspcnf.cgi?ci=228>

9. Manage Your Membership
Have you misplaced your password? Send a quick note to <scurrie@sfu.ca>.

Become a GEN member at:
<http://vu.cs.sfu.ca/vu/tlnce/PublicReg/>
Select the box beside "Become a GEN Member, click the "register" button, and
complete the form.

To subscribe or unsubscribe from this list, send mail without a subject
heading or signature to
        majordomo@sfu.ca
with the appropriate command in the body of your email message:
        subscribe global-educators-network
        or
        unsubscribe global-educators-network

10. About the global-educators-network mailing list
This mailing list is for GEN Updates and occasional announcements.

Read GEN Update on the Web:
<http://www.sfu.ca/~scurrie/global-educators-network/>

GEN Update is prepared by:

Sylvia Currie, Coordinator
Global Educators' Network
scurrie@sfu.ca
<http://globaleducators.net>

Free seminars...by online educators for online educators.
Spread the word about GEN. Please forward this message!