|
Introduction to Kensington-Cedar Cottage
Kensington-Cedar Cottage extends from Fraser to Nanaimo Streets
and from Broadway to 41st Avenue. The community is a mixture
of two historic neighbourhoods, Cedar Cottage to the south
of Trout Lake, and Kensington Heights, to the south of Kingsway.
The area is very special because its residents are a rich
variety of nationalities and cultures. They enjoy outstanding
city and mountain view, many parks and schools and access
to the city's only lake, Trout Lake.
History & Heritage
Kensington-Cedar Cottage combines two historic neighbourhoods:
Cedar Cottage, located north of Kingsway to Broadway, between
Clark and Knight Streets and Nanaimo Street; and Kensington,
located south of Kingsway to 41st Avenue, between Fraser Street
and Nanaimo Streets.
The area remained unsettled until 1888 when Arthur Wilson
bought 16 hectares of land that cornered on Knight and Westminster
Highway (Kingsway) and began the Cedar Cottage Nursery. Within
a few years, others bought large plots of land around Trout
Lake for farming. The interurban line built to link Vancouver
with New Westminster in 1891 opened up the Kensington-Cedar
Cottage area, drawing in merchants who opened shops around
the tram stop at 18th and Commercial.
In 1894, a bank and two-room schoolhouse opened on 20th Avenue.
By 1910, a small but independent village with a post office,
40 stores and a two-storey school, Lord Selkirk had sprung
up around the 3500-3600 blocks of Commercial Drive. As the
automobile became more popular during the 1910's and 1920's,
Kingsway became a major thoroughfare drawing business south
and away from the old village centre.
By the beginning of World War 1, Cedar Cottage was no longer
rural. Small wooden and stucco houses lined the streets. Workers
spent ten hours a day in the factories, either riding the
tram to the mills that lined False Creek or walking to one
of Cedar Cottage's growing number of industries: Nanaimo Foundry,
Bader's Biscuits, Marston's Sash and Door, Tait Pipe and Fletcher's
meat, to name a few.
After World War 2, Gladstone High School was built on what
was once a dairy farm. The community was also the beneficiary
of over $4 million through the federal government's Neighbourhood
Improvement Program in the late 1970's. Local citizens working
with the City staff brought about a wide variety of improvements
to the neighbourhood. This included the city's first storefront
library near Kingsway and Knight, the Trout Lake Community
Centre, Brewers, Clark and Cedar Cottage Parks and beautification
of Commercial Street.
Rapid growth and significant neighbourhood change in the
past few decades have left Kensington-Cedar Cottage with a
few significant heritage buildings. Exceptions include Sir
Alexander Mackenzie School and Lord Selkirk School
Sir Alexander Mackenzie School, at 960 East 39th Avenue,
was completed in 1930. The school is one of the earliest surviving
examples of the cast-in-place concrete construction method
pioneered by architects Townley and Matheson. Lord Selkirk
School, at 1750 East 22nd Avenue, was designed by W.T. Whiteway
and built in 1908. The building is characterized by a high
bellcast hipped roof, extensive use of tall windows, and a
round-headed entry arch.
The house at 3845 Dumfries is presumed to have been the Wayside
Inn, and is reminder of a time when travelers followed Westminster
Road, now Kingsway, from Vancouver to New Westminster. Its
simple detailing indicates early, functional building style
that did not involve elaborate decoration.
|