Notice of Service Changes
October 16, 2017:
FluidSurveys access was purchased by SFU as part of a BCNet Consoritum Master Agreement to provide survey software to Higher Education institutions in British Columbia. The parent company of FluidSurveys, SurveyMonkey, announced that the FluidSurveys product would be discontinued after SFU started using the software. BCNet and the consortium members, including SFU, have been working to provide the replacement survey solution over the last several months, and that replacement is now identified. The replacement product for the Consortium will be SurveyMonkey, hosted in a Canadian datacentre and with the same security and privacy provisions that were in place for FluidSurveys.
We will retain access to FluidSurveys through March 31, 2018. Though the new SurveyMonkey software has successfully completed Privacy Impact Assessments (PIA) that was submitted by BCNet, SFU's own Privacy Office must also review and approve all related PIAs before we can purchase and deploy the SurveyMonkey software. The final determination of our ability to use SurveyMonkey and an availability date is dependent upon our completion of that review. The launch date of the new service is still to be determined, but will be announced here.
Details of the current status of a FluidSurveys / SurveyMonkey transition plan is:
- SurveyMonkey and BCNet submitted a Privacy Impact Assessment (PIA) for the components of the SurveyMonkey software to the BC Privacy Office. That PIA was successful in proving that the software could be used by institutions that are part of the existing Master Agreement. That means that SFU can choose to participate in the procurement of a contract for the new service
- Although the PIA process is complete from the BCNet/Consortium perspective, SFU's own Privacy Office needs to separately approve of that PIA to ensure that it correctly identifies and mitigates both legal and prviacy issues from an SFU perspective
- SFU has been guaranteed access to FluidSurveys by SurveyMonkey until Mar 31, 2018 at no additional cost
- The ability to launch SurveyMonkey at SFU and the exact timing of that availability are still to be determined and will be contingent upon approval by our own Privacy Office; until Mar 31, 2018 the use of FluidSurveys remains fully supported.
Logging in to FluidSurveys
Check the box below to reveal the log-in link for FluidSurveys.
By using FluidSurveys with your SFU Computing ID, you agree to be bound by SFU's Terms of Service for FluidSurveys.
SFU is offering access to FluidSurveys, a full-featured web survey tool with a wide variety of question types and reporting. This service is provided to support surveys for University-related teaching, learning, research, and administrative purposes. The FluidSurveys application and data are hosted in Canada by a commercial provider external to SFU.
FluidSurveys Terms of Service
As FluidSurveys is an external provider of service to SFU, support for the service is provided directly by FluidSurveys and SFU policies and guidelines related to the use of personal information are subject to SFU's Terms of Service for FluidSurveys.
Your use of the FluidSurveys' service at SFU is voluntary, and your use of the service indicates agreement with Terms of Service Agreements for FluidSurveys and its parent company, SurveyMonkey Inc., and the SFU Terms of Service for the use of FluidSurveys with your SFU Computing Account.
If the Terms of Service or external hosting of FluidSurveys' data is unacceptable for your survey, SFU continues to offer an in-house WebSurvey solution. While not as full-featured as FluidSurveys, the SFU WebSurvey application and all survey data is hosted entirely in the SFU data centre.
The entire SFU WebSurvey application and its data storage is hosted entirely within SFU's datacentre. While not as full-featured as FluidSurveys, SFU WebSurvey provides a solution for data collection in cases where externally hosted solutions may be problematic.
SFU Websurvey is the most appropriate tool to use in any of these cases:
- personal data is to be collected in the survey where the Terms of Service of SurveyMonkey, Inc. may be in conflict with privacy, legal, or other requirements related to the use of that survey.
- the provision of personal data to the survey is considered mandatory for some University business (eg. as an assignment or as a component of an assignment in a credit course)
- if you expect that your survey may extend beyond the end date of the FluidSurveys deployment at SFU. Our current contract makes the software available until Sept 29, 2017.
SFU WebSurvey has a history of providing reliable, secure, locally hosted online surveys. Compared to FluidSurveys, the feature set is more limited, and frequently requested features such as conditional questions or branching are not available in WebSurvey.
SFU WebSurvey Terms of Service
The use of SFU Websurvey is primarily governed by University Policy GP-24, Fair Use of Information and Communications Technology. SFU WebSurvey is available to anyone currently holding an SFU Computing ID for University-related activities.
Logging in to SFU WebSurvey
The SFU WebSurvey application may be found at https://websurvey.sfu.ca
FluidSurveys and SFU WebSurvey FAQ
Which survey tool should I use?
There are several considerations:
FluidSurvey is the most full-featured of the two options, has more types of questions available, includes a good selection of starter templates, and offers frequently requested features such as 'branching' available within surveys. FluidSurveys will meet the widest range of needs.
However, even though FluidSurveys is hosted in Canada and meets the requirements of BC's FIPPA legislation, the parent company, SurveyMonkey, Inc. is US-owned and this has implications for support access (see our SFU FluidSurvey Terms of Service page for more detail). The SFU WebSurvey application and data are entirely hosted at the SFU datacentre and support is provided by SFU staff in Canada, only.
FluidSurveys is a hosted product with a service end date of September 29, 2017. If you have ongoing survey needs past the end of service/lifespan of FluidSurveys at SFU, using SFU Websurvey is expected to provide more long-term availability.
If you are using your survey as a mandatory requirement for course work or similar activity with FluidSurvey, you may need to consider using a personal information disclosure consent form and/or have alternative methods available for the student/etc. to complete that activity. Please contact the Information and Privacy Officer in the Archives and Records Management Department for the correct consent form to use. SFU WebSurvey would typically require no such consent form.
Who provides support?
All support for the FluidSurveys Service, including all end-user and survey support, is provided by FluidSurveys. Requests for FluidSurveys support can be made by directly contacting FluidSurveys.
FluidSurveys provides direct support for:
- product feature capabilities
- surveys creation and best practices
- technical issues
Any issues reported by survey respondents to the survey administrator should also be directed to FluidSurveys.
Online tutorials, how-to documentation, information about survey creation, advanced topics and techniques, and best practices can be found at FluidSurvey University, the FluidSurvey learning and support site.
SFU IT Services can only provide support related to account authorization and access through the CAS login page. See http://www.sfu.ca/itservices for contact addresses and options.
Support for SFU WebSurvey is via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. We support the configuration and use of the application itself, but cannot provide expertise in areas of survey design, best practices, and related topics.