- Outdoor Spaces
- Morris J. Wosk Centre For Dialogue
- Harbour Centre
- Goldcorp Centre for the Arts
- Segal Building
- Vancouver Catering
- Technology Rates
- Book Now
- Contact Us
- Filming + Photo
SFU’s Sustainable Spaces program, managed by the SFU Sustainability Office, provides toolkits and certification services for events across SFU campuses. These guidelines promote measurable tactics in line with the goals outlined in SFU’s Sustainability Strategic Plan, thereby contributing to the overall sustainability of the University.
Officially certified events will receive access to the Sustainable Events banner, Sustainability Office support and resources to implement sustainable initiatives, as well as promotion and recognition through the Sustainability Office website, newsletter and social media.
Sustainable Spaces In MECS:
• MECS has put in place, with the collaboration of the SFU Sustainability Office, best practices for meeting and event services that integrate sustainability and contribute meaningfully and measurably to the shift toward a regenerative, circular, and equitable society and economy.
• Events which are arranged through MECS already qualify for Silver certification.
By considering additional factors such as accessibility, event materials and swag you can earn your event a gold-rating and receive additional promotions and tools. Simply complete and submit the gold-level checklist here.
Silver-Level Sustainable Spaces Certification Features:
- Optimal use of daylight and all building lights are turned off when not in use.
- Room temperature is monitored in an effort to conserve energy.
- All three SFU campuses are within walking distance of public transportation.
- The Canada Line provides direct access to the airport.
- Mobi bike sharing services and bike lock up areas are available for all three campuses.
- Hotels within walking distance from our venues are recommended.
- SFU’s client communications, including newsletters, are primarily handled electronically.
- Post-consumer recycled paper is used for all printed promotional collateral.
- Styrofoam is never used and non-recyclable materials are avoided.
- SFU’s award-winning four-stream Zero Waste Stations are used or available for all events.
- Healthy, low-impact (e.g. vegetarian, vegan) options are available.
- Fairtrade coffee, OceanWise fish, local and in-season food is used whenever possible.
- Reusable melamine wear or on biodegradable/compostable products are used.
- Unconsumed food, when possible, is donated to local charities.