An equitable, diverse and inclusive SFU is deserved by all. We need to create an environment where everyone feels like they’re treated with respect and where there are equal opportunities for engagement and success. As we work toward inclusion for all, we are committed to doing more, and doing better.
Engage in a self-assessment/data-gathering on diversity and inclusion
Develop more robust and equitable recruitment, retention and progression
Increase capacity and awareness of EDI opportunities
Enhance inclusion for everyone
Important reconciliation and decolonization work is being done across SFU by individuals, teams and departments as the university continues the process of implementing the Walk This Path With Us report’s calls to action. We need to deliver on the commitments made in the ARC report, transforming the university and becoming a leader in Indigenizing our curriculum.
- Safe and welcoming Indigenous spaces
- Innovation and Indigenization in curriculum and research
- Student pathways and support
- Administration, hiring and project implementation
August 13, 2020
June 19, 2020
Plans for a ceremonial space for the SFU community to celebrate Indigenous knowledge and culture are underway. SFU’s First Peoples’ Gathering House will open on SFU’s Burnaby campus in 2023.
February 12, 2020
A new agreement between SFU and Langara College paves the way for Indigenous students to transfer more easily from the college to SFU to complete their degree programs.
SFU students are the changemakers at the heart of this university. We engage students to learn about their priorities and ideas, and to understand their needs and goals. We’re committed to strengthening SFU’s supports and services for students and to enriching the student experience.
- Students come to SFU for a university degree with relevance and meaning. We’ll create new opportunities for vibrant, enhanced and active learning experiences -- inside and outside the classroom.
- We’re working to ensure that all students feel welcome and supported, finding ways to enrich student life across all aspects of their journey with SFU -- in-class, on campus and in communities.
- We know that affordability is a concern for students. We’ll develop initiatives and partnerships to help increase accessibility.
July 08, 2020
As the SFU community continues working and learning from home through the summer term, SFU Facilities Services is taking advantage of this time to perform upgrades across all three campuses.
May 08, 2020
The SFU staff team behind a new service that offers free, 24/7 mental health support to SFU students anywhere in the world has won the 2019 SFU Staff Achievement team award for Innovation.
March 16, 2020
The Student Experience Initiative (SEI) was launched in 2016 as one of Simon Fraser University’s Priority Initiatives under the leadership of President Andrew Petter.