- About Joy
- Dr. Yabome Gilpin-Jackson named SFU’s first Vice-President, People, Equity and Inclusion
- Chris (Syeta’xtn) Lewis joins SFU in advisory role on Indigenous Initiatives and Reconciliation
- A World of Difference: How universities must evolve in a post-COVID world
- Russian invasion of Ukraine
- SFU: What's Next?
- Celebrating National Indigenous Peoples day
- Please join us for the annual appreciation BBQ
- SFU begins process to become Living Wage Employer
- Staying engaged in an increasingly polarized world
- SFU: What's Next? - Message from the President to Faculty and Staff
- SFU: What's Next? - Message from the President to students
- Welcome new SFU students
- UPDATED Jan. 6: My response to Dec. 11 event in SFU dining hall
- Celebrating Black History Month
- The University’s Role and Contributions to a Just Recovery Over the Next Decade
- Inspired by meetings with SFU Faculty and Staff
- Looking forward to Summer and Fall
- Opinion: This is why SFU is backing the Burnaby Mountain gondola
- External Review of December 11, 2020 Event
- Facing the future with hope
- President's statement on TransMountain Expansion Project and support for a fire hall on Burnaby mountain
- The road ahead
- Stronger Together: SFU, the pandemic and lessons for a better future
- SFU to observe moment of silence at 2:15 PM today
- Taking action: Reconciliation at SFU
- Join SFU President Joy Johnson for a tour of Burnaby campus
- Message from the President: Residential school findings
- Dr. June Francis appointed Special Advisor to the President on Anti-Racism
- My response to the open letter from SFU faculty and staff
- Resources and ways to support scholars in Afghanistan
- BC Vaccine Card
- Masks required on all SFU campuses, vaccine card required for residence, athletics, dining, events and others
- Vaccine declaration and follow-up screening at SFU
- Return to campus planning updates
- Welcome Back
- Work to review contract vs. in-house cleaning and food services
- National Day for Truth and Reconciliation
- SFU and SFSS united in commitment to climate action
- Inclusion benefits us all
- Moving forward with kindness
- SFU commits to full divestment from fossil fuels
- Safety on SFU's campuses
- Thank you!
- Temporary shift to remote learning January 10 – 23, 2022
- Statement on academic freedom
- Welcome back faculty and staff
- Welcome back students
- Statement on scholar strike
- Reflections on my first 30 days
- Taking care of ourselves, taking care of each other
- Equity, diversity and inclusion commitments
- Statement on SFU's Athletics Team Name Change
- Finding connection in times of adversity
- Wishing you a safe and restful holiday break
- Op-ed: SFU helping drive social, economic innovation in time of crisis
- President’s Distinguished Community Leadership Award
September 29, 2022
I hope you are having a great start to the term! I have really enjoyed seeing so many students on campus again and meeting many of you in person during our Month of Welcome.
September 29, 2022
Since we launched SFU: What’s Next? in March, I’ve spent many hours reading feedback from and listening to faculty, staff, students, alumni and community partners on the future of SFU.
August 19, 2022
I became president of SFU in September 2020, several months into the global COVID-19 shutdown. Because of that, I’ve spent most of my time as president connecting with the SFU community and our partners through Zoom screens, phone calls and emails. As the world has slowly opened up over the past year, I have enjoyed getting to spend more time on our campuses, seeing people face-to-face again—and most recently, travelling.
July 19, 2022
I am pleased to share that at the last Board meeting, the SFU Board of Governors approved a motion that will see SFU pursue certification to become a Living Wage Employer through Living Wage for Families BC.
July 14, 2022
One of my favourite parts of my job is getting to connect with the people who make our SFU community so special.
June 21, 2022
June 21 marks National Indigenous Peoples Day. Today, across the university we honour the history, culture, resilience and contributions of First Nations, Inuit and Métis Peoples.
March 22, 2022
As president of SFU, one of my jobs is to tell the story of this university—to explain to the world who we are, where we’ve been, and perhaps most importantly, where we’re going.
February 24, 2022
Yesterday evening, I was deeply concerned to hear news about Russia’s invasion of Ukraine. Since then, many world leaders have called for an immediate end to the conflict. SFU echoes those calls for peace.
February 15, 2022
I was honoured to speak at the Vancouver Institute about how embracing difference at all levels of the university—from teaching and research to community engagement—can help universities carve out that path and contribute to the larger public good as we enter a post-COVID world.
February 08, 2022
Over a long and meaningful connection with SFU, Chris (Syeta’xtn) Lewis has served in an ever-growing list of roles and been a deeply valued counsellor and advisor to senior leadership at SFU. In his newest role, Director, Indigenous Initiatives and Reconciliation, Syeta’xtn will continue to advise the President and senior leadership.
January 05, 2022
Following extensive community consultation, an international search, and approval of the SFU Board of Governors, Dr. Yabome Gilpin-Jackson will be SFU’s first Vice-President, People, Equity and Inclusion (VPPEI). She will begin April 15, 2022.