What is Software Systems?
Software Systems (SoSy) is a program within the School of Computing Science, that offers courses at both the Surrey and Burnaby campuses. By completing the program, students earn the degree of BSc Software Systems.
SoSy is an applied area of computer science that focuses on teaching the skills to develop high-quality software.
Developing software is the foundation of many careers in industry. Software is integrated into every area of our daily lives from web browsers to computer games. It runs in our cell phones, our cars and our transportation systems.
SoSy is a practical, hands-on program delivered through lectures, team projects and a capstone project. Graduates have a solid understanding of the software development lifecycle from specification through development and verification and on into maintenance. They have experience writing larger scale software with a commitment to professional quality code construction.
Students can apply for direct admission into SoSy when applying to SFU, or students can transfer into SoSy from other departments. Computing science majors who wish to transfer to SoSy can easily do so after completing their 1st or 2nd year requirements.
Benefits of Studying Software Systems
- You'll be well-prepared to start your career with one of many high-tech companies located locally and internationally.
- Gain valuable work experience and earn competitive wages in our co-operative education program.
- Showcase your skills with a two-semester long capstone project working with a faculty member.
- Study at SFU's Surrey campus, located in a major technology center that is home to local and international companies in software development, telecommunications, gaming, finance, bioinformatics and more.
- Graduate with an industry recognized degree (Bachelor of Science Software Systems) from one of Canada’s most prestigious computer science schools.
- Be well prepared to continue with graduate studies (MSc., PhD) thanks to our school’s strong research focus.