What is Software Systems?
Software Systems (SoSy) is a program within the School of Computing Science, that offers courses at both the Surrey and Burnaby campuses.
SoSy is an applied area of computer science that focuses on the development of high-quality software for public and private industry. Embedded software is used in so many of our every day items; cell phones, security systems, internet search engines, movie and music distribution, and in specialized areas such as medical imaging, financial analysis systems, and safety critical applications like air traffic control systems. This is a practical, hands-on program delivered through a combination of lectures, case studies, and individual and team projects. Graduates will have a solid understanding of the software development life cycle including testing and verification, documentation, and revision control, all of which are needed to take projects from conception to delivery.
Benefits of Studying Software Systems
- You'll be well-prepared to secure employment with one of many high-tech companies located locally, and internationally.
- Gain valuable work experience (usually 8 month terms), and earn competitive wages in our co-operative education program.
- Study at SFU's Surrey campus, located in a major technology center that is home to local and international companies in software development, telecommunications, gaming, finance, bioinformatics and more.
- Graduate with an industry recognized degree (Bachelor of Science) from one of Canada’s most prestigious computer science schools.
- Be well prepared to continue with graduate studies (M.Sc., PhD) thanks to our school’s strong research focus.