SFU People in the News - October 10, 2013
Media Matters, a report on Simon Fraser University in the news, is compiled and distributed by SFU Public Affairs & Media Relations (PAMR).
This edition is a daily roundup that lists the main items of known media coverage from 8:30 a.m. Wednesday October 9 to 8:30 a.m. today, Thursday October 10.
- SFU Public Square has posted the video of U.S. economist and author Robert Reich's presentation on October 3 at the Orpheum Theatre.
- Full Story: http://at.sfu.ca/JWAioP
- SFU criminal law expert David MacAlister says B.C. Hells Angels may have a chance with their challenge of the province's civil forfeiture law.
- Full Story: http://at.sfu.ca/kHudVK
- Nimal Rajapakse, dean of the faculty of Applied Sciences at SFU, was quoted in an article regarding the City of Surrey looking to clean technology as the driver of economic diversification.
- New research led by SFU researcher Stephen Robinovitch reveals that falls account for more than 60 percent of hospital stays for traumatic brain injury in seniors over 65 years of age, and that 37 percent head impact in falls.
- Cape Breton Post: http://at.sfu.ca/vRRknt
- Miranda Myles, SFU’s emergency planner and Chair for Shakeout BC, was featured on Unfiltered discussing BCAA survey results on the lack of earthquake preparedness and the Shakeout BC earthquake preparedness event occurring Oct. 17. SFU was also mentioned regarding the event.
- Full Video Not Available Online
- SFU’s School of Criminology and the department of First Nations studies were briefly mentioned in an article regarding how indigenous communities interact with the justice system.
- Full Story: http://at.sfu.ca/pUAjeQ
- SFU professor Tom Gunton was briefly mentioned in an op-ed contradicting the Harper government’s claim that taxpayers would not be responsible for oil spill clean-up costs.
- Full Story: http://at.sfu.ca/Vwiusi
- SFU was briefly mentioned in an article regarding new findings in sensor research.
- Full Story: http://at.sfu.ca/WLnPMk
- SFU political science professor Patrick Smith was mentioned in an article regarding Jasper seeing 23 candidates in its municipal election.
- Full Story: http://at.sfu.ca/hcBwXR
- SFU Clan senior Mike Belle has been named Great Northwest Athletic Conference men’s golfer of the week for his performance at an invitational tournament in Bend, Ore., last week.
- Burnaby NewsLeader: http://at.sfu.ca/kPceqb
- The football team will travel to Los Angeles to face the co-conference leading Cougars on Saturday, looking to snap a two-game losing skid that has come on the heels of two straight wins to open the 2013 season.
- Province: http://at.sfu.ca/gSDADG
- Earlier issues of Media Matters are online at http://at.sfu.ca/GzJvYO
SFU NEWS RELEASES
- SFU’s news releases are online at http://at.sfu.ca/APbezp