Awards are given in recognition of distinguished intellectual, cultural, social, or athletic achievements or contributions to the community. Awards are available to Canadian and International students. When you receive an award, Financial Aid and Awards will notify you in writing. Due to the high volume of applications received each term, payment of funds may not occur until the middle of the term of application. We encourage you to plan accordingly.
To apply for an award, you must:
- be in good academic standing and have a minimum CGPA of 2.00 at SFU during the term of application (waived in your first term at SFU).
- be enrolled in a minimum of 9 units of standard graded courses at SFU in the term of application, unless otherwise stipulated.
Please note that 3 Unit Co-op is not a standard graded course. Challenge, audit and credit-free courses are not considered.
A student with a disability is eligible to apply for awards if the student is enrolled in less than 9 units but no less than 6 units and meets all other eligibility requirements. The student has to provide a letter from SFU’s Centre for Students with Disabilities at the time of application.
How to apply
- Check the application period and final deadline at Application Deadlines.
- Review the Scholarships and Awards List when available to determine the scholarships for which you want to apply.
- Apply online by logging in to the Student Information System (go.sfu.ca).
- Click on "Student Center".
- Go to Financial Aid and Awards (under Finances).
- Click on "Apply for Scholarships/Awards".
- List the scholarships you want to apply for on your online application.
- Complete and submit your application.
- Submit supporting documentation by the application deadline.
Awards administered by SFU
For a complete listing, check out our online Scholarship, Awards, and Bursaries database.
Awards by Nomination
Many awards require nomination from department. Check with your department on available awards and the application process.
Awards Administered External to SFU
SFU does not administer external scholarships, awards and bursaries directly, therefore, such opportunities are not included in the database.
Information on our External Awards & Additional Resources handout is provided for general information purposes only. You are responsible for visiting the actual sites to get information on eligibility requirements and deadlines.