SFU's Strategic Sustainability and Climate Action Plan establishes SFU's sustainability goals, defines SFU's climate action targets and—crucially—outlines how SFU will take action to achieve them.
Plan Wide Strategies & Roles
- Overarching Strategy: Focus on a small number of critical and strategic goals and partners. Less is more. Embedding rather than adding.
- Vice-President Accountability & Collaboration: Each goal in the plan has an accountable SFU vice-president (VP) whose role it is to write action plans, fund and implement them, evaluate progress and report out to the central SFU Sustainability team on this progress for university-wide annual reporting purposes. The VPs have written the goals and will choose how to move forward on them. They will also collaborate where their goals overlap and have strategic co-benefits.
- SFU Sustainability Advising and Executive Liaising: The central SFU Sustainability team will work with the VPs to provide advice and recommendations on best practices, provide action planning templates and tools, support data collection and evaluation, and coordinate reporting and communications on successes. This will include attending as requested: VP direct report team meetings, the Executive team (President and VPs) meetings, and the Senior leadership team (Deans, Associate VPs, VPs) meetings to present current information, discuss embedding opportunities or synergies, and explore issues and solutions.
- The central SFU Sustainability team will collaborate with a new group of VP Direct Report Leads to support action planning, regularly assess progress, and collaborate on reporting and communicating success: These leads will be direct reports of the VPs and will be identified by each VP as the most appropriate ongoing contact for the central SFU Sustainability team. A lead from the team will be assigned to each VP portfolio to act as their portfolio advisor and partner. The lead from the VP portfolio and the lead from SFU Sustainability will work together.
- Community of Practice: The central SFU Sustainability team will reorganize current advisory groups into a Community of Practice connecting students, faculty and staff which will include the VP Direct Report Leads. Education, training and collaboration will be a key focus.
- Partnerships: The central SFU Sustainability team, the VPs and SFU community members broadly will develop and nurture partnerships that further SFU’s climate and sustainability goals (e.g., Pacific Institute for Climate Solutions, BC University Network for Race to Zero, Civic Innovation Lab).
The goals under SFU's 2022-2025 Strategic Sustainability and Climate Action Plan were chosen based on their relevance to climate action, SFU’s unique strengths and weaknesses and on the current human, capital and political resources at our disposal to achieve the goals.
This plan should be read in conjunction with the following plans, each of which contributes in their own way to SFU’s institution-wide sustainability initiative:
- SFU’s Strategic Vision
- SFU’s 20-Year Sustainability Vision and Goals (.pdf)
- SFU's Strategic Research Plan
- SFU Academic Plan 2019-2024
- SFU Faculty of Environment Strategic Plan
- SFU’s Strategic Energy Management Plan
- 2065 Campus Master Plan
- Sustainability Policy (GP38)
- University Energy Utilization Policy (GP 43)
- ARC Walk this Path with Us Report
- Diversity Meter (.pdf)
- SFU's Wildfire Management Plan
- SFU's Stormwater Management Strategy
- SFU's Emergency and Risk Management Policies and Plans