Re: question regarding 5.0.8 -> 5.0.11 upgrade

----- "Xueshan Feng" <sfeng@stanford.edu> wrote:
| | - Have you upgraded to 5.0.11 from a prior 5.0.X release?  If so,
| was
| | this a multi-server environment?
|
| Yes in anmulti-server environment, with 3 ldap servers, 8 production
| mailbox servers, 2 spares.

Our environment is 2x ldap, 2x mta, 1 very large mailbox server and one syslog server.

| | - How long did the process take?  How much time was initially
| | allocated?
|

| Allocate 2 hours, usually takes 1.5 hours.

We're initially planning a larger window, hopefully we won't need it .

| | - Any new problems with 5.0.11 ?
|
| Why not go to 5.0.15?

It would be my choice to do 5.0.15 but we started the process around 5.0.11 and need to provide the end-users with a test environment that will match production.   This is also our first major production upgrade, once 5.0.11 goes out the
door we will hopefully be less gun-shy.

| | - How many users/gigabytes were involved in your upgrade?
|
| Average 5000 users per server, 1.5 TB used space in
| /opt/zimbra/store.

This roughly matches our primary mailstore in space, however we have 3x as many users on a single store.

| | - Anything you'd do differently a second time around?
|
| We've done it 10 times over (starting from 5.0.3).  Most upgrade and
| post-upgrade are managed by configuration management ( things that
| would not be kept by upgrade, such as
| skin, java policy if you use kerberos) and  scripts  (disable/enabling
| monitoring,  put up outage page on webmail, post-upgrade tests etc).

We very much appreciate your input.   Thanks for your time and effort.

Cheers,

_Michael.