Re: Poll: Is your GAL Internal, External, or Both?

On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 7:34 AM, Matt Mencel <MR-Mencel@wiu.edu> wrote:
I'm taking an unscientific poll.  Just curious how EDUs out there are configuring your GALs...and maybe a short reason why you did it that way?

We are having a heck of a time with our External GAL and GALSync settings since jumping to 6.0.4 and are about ready to give it up and do Internal GAL only.

SD73 (Kamloops/Thompson) is using a bit of a mishmash/hybrid/external GAL.

We have an external LDAP directory that is populated based on the HR database, that is used for authentication users to various district-level services (website, workorders, assets, portal, e-mail, etc).  However, it's part of a portal product that we're trying to get rid of.

As an interim, we have another, separate OpenLDAP directory that pulls data from the above LDAP, sanitises it, normalises it, and then makes it available to Zimbra (and, currently, only Zimbra).  Eventually, this LDAP server will be the primary LDAP for authentication.

Zimbra uses the internal directory and this external LDAP to create the GAL.

No idea what GALSync is, so I'm assuming we're not using it.  :)  The GAL configuration just queries the external LDAP directly.

--
Freddie Cash
fjwcash@gmail.com