Invitation for Global Trends in Community Engagement and Evaluating Impact Presentation and Discussion

The Office of Research Services has received the following information which we are forwarding to our e-mail list members:

Sent on behalf of Dr. Joy Johnson, Vice-President, Research and International

I would like to invite you to attend a presentation and discussion titled Global Trends in Community Engagement and Evaluating Impact by community engagement advisor Dr. Barbara Holland from 2:00 – 4:00 pm on Wednesday, November 15th in Room 126 of Halpern Centre at SFU’s Burnaby Campus.  This meeting will provide us with an opportunity to discuss best practices in the implementation and assessment of community-based learning, engaged scholarship, and community-campus partnerships.  Barbara is well known for her work and has strong expertise in organizational change in higher education and her visit to SFU is sponsored by the VP External Relations in collaboration with the President’s Office, the VP Academic and the VP Research.

Barbara is well positioned to share perspectives from engaged universities and communities from across the world and she brings a wealth of knowledge in the areas of impact, measurement and evaluation.  These meetings offer us an opportunity to share a little bit about our culture, our goals, our initiatives, and our challenges; and to discuss our approaches to achieving collective impact.

Please RSVP to ce-initiative@sfu.ca or matthew_grant@sfu.ca to indicate whether you will be able to attend by Thursday, November 9th.

Kind Regards,

Dr. Joy Johnson
Vice-President, Research and International

Simon Fraser University

For those of you who would like to learn more about Barbara’s experience, please see a copy of her bio below.

Barbara A. Holland, Ph.D., is a professor, researcher and consultant recognized internationally for her scholarship and expertise on organizational change in higher education with a special focus on the strategic impacts of community engagement as a method of teaching, learning and research.  Her current academic affiliations are Distinguished Professor at University of Nebraska Omaha, and Senior Scholar at Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis and University of North Carolina Greensboro.   She has served in senior academic administrative roles at several universities in the United States and Australia, held a visiting scholar role in the US Department of Housing and Urban Development headquarters for two years during the Clinton and Bush administrations, and was Executive Director of the federally-funded National Service-Learning Clearinghouse for seven years.

For her many research publications and impacts on the field, Barbara was the fourth scholar awarded the Research Achievement Award from the International Association for Research on Service-Learning and Community Engagement (2006). In 2008 she was named as one of the first two Honorary Fellows named by the Engagement Australia association. She was Executive Editor of Metropolitan Universities, the journal of the Coalition of Urban and Metropolitan Universities 1998-2016, and continues to serve in editorial roles for five other refereed journals.  Since its inception in 2006, she has served as a member of the National Advisory Panel for the Carnegie Foundation Elective Community Engagement Classification program.  Barbara is also a frequent keynote speaker at academic conferences, and has been invited to be an in-depth consultant and adviser to many academic institutions across six nations. Recent clients include¬¬ University of Melbourne, University of British Columbia, Cornell University, Duke University, Rochester Institute of Technology, University of Washington, University of Minnesota, University of Tennessee, Washington State University, and University of New Mexico, among others.

Her current research and practice work focuses on developing effective campus leaders and strategies during this time of great change in higher education, and on strategies and systems to monitor and measure the impacts of community engagement . Barbara earned her Bachelor of Journalism and Master of Arts in Journalism at the University of Missouri, and a Ph.D. in Higher Education Policy at the University of Maryland. She resides in Portland, Oregon.

UNSUBSCRIBE
You have received this message through your subscription to an e-mail list.
If you would like to unsubscribe, please click here.