GEN Update Jan 25, 2000

Global Educators' Network Update
http://www.vu.vlei.com/GEN

HTML for Educators Begins February 1

You asked for it! In the next GEN seminar, HTML for Educators , we will discuss technical requirements and good practices in designing WWW materials for the online classroom. The seminar will be organized around a variety of themes, including:

*Critics' Corner: share, review and critique exisiting web designs; discuss likes and dislikes of commercial web authoring tools; document principles of good web design and items to consider in developing web materials
*Muck About: use personal file space on the Virtual-U server to upload images and documents; practice composing your HTML pages; join in scheduled VU-CHAT sessions to practice, ask questions, and get immediate feedback from colleagues
*Tips and Resources: share effective HTML guides, self-directed tutorials, online courses, and time-saving tips for developing and maintaining web materials

This seminar will be facilitated by Sylvia Currie and Kate Britt (better known as PinkFlamingo!). Sylvia is a Communication graduate student at Simon Fraser University , British Columbia, and has been involved in online education for five years as a student, instructor, researcher, lab coordinator, and consultant. Kate Britt is an Educator in an Adult Learning Centre in New Westminster, British Columbia. She has a degree in Communications Design, 20+ years of professional (traditional) design expereience, and has recently completed online courses in HTML and web design. PinkFlamingo confesses to being addicted to computers and making webpages.

Through the shared experience and expertise of our GEN members, our goal is to compile an HTML Guide for Educators.We have a great deal to learn from one another, so let's share our resources, skills, and experiences and tackle this HTML thing together!

To register for and access this seminar go to:
http://www.vu.vlei.com/vu/tlnce/PublicReg

It's never too late to join in....

GEN seminars are designed for busy people. We fully expect and welcome newcomers to seminars at any time. There are two seminars underway and we encourage you to join in:

1. Time Management: A Collective Guide for Online Instructors

In this month's Time Management seminar (part II in a series) moderated by Dr. Thérèse Laferrière, professor of pedagogy at Université Laval, members are sharing some very useful time management tips and resources. We look forward to more! Please join us!

2. Roles Professors Play

This OLT seminar, moderated by Dr Lucio Teles, Tracy Roberts and Stacy Ashton of Simon Fraser University, is focused on the many roles of the instructor in designing, facilitating, and managing online courses.

Register: http://www.vu.vlei.com/vu/tlnce/PublicReg
Browse past GEN seminars: http://www.vu.vlei.com/tlnce

What are OLT seminars?

We are delighted to see GEN members also participating in "OLT" seminars. Some members have been asking..."What is the difference between GEN and OLT seminars?". Well, from the participants' perspective, not much! Both are online discussions moderated by invited guests. OLT seminars are sponsored by the Office of Learning Technologies, Human Resources Development Canada, and are of special interest to
researchers involved the Virtual-U Community of Practice. However, others who are interested in learning and sharing experiences in online education are also warmly invited.

Sign up for OLT seminars at:
http://www.vu.vlei.com/vu/tlnce/PublicReg

Questions? Comments? Suggestions? Ideas? Proposals? Contact me:

Sylvia Currie, Coordinator
Global Educators' Network
currie@idmail.com
http://www.vu.vlei.com/GEN