GEN Update August 20, 2001

GEN Update
August 20, 2001

In This Update

1. 2nd Annual Reflections and Next Steps Seminar Begins Today!
2. Annual GEN Member Survey
3. Success in Online Learning Communities
4. GEN @ TAPPED IN
5. GEN Educators Perpetual FAQ
6. Manage Your Membership
7. About the global-educators-network mailing list

1.  2nd Annual Reflections and Next Steps Seminar Begins Today!

20 August 2001 - 9 September 2001

Since November, 1999 the Global Educators' Network has hosted 29 online
seminars and events on a variety of topics. During the past year we have
welcomed many new members to GEN. As of August, 2001 we have grown to over
1,100 members from 43 countries!

We continue to receive very positive feedback from members that they enjoy
the open and flexible format of GEN. We have also engaged in some
interesting discussions regarding GEN as a community, tried out different
formats, and identified areas for improvement in terms of design and
technologies.

Once again, we will use our time during the summer hiatus to reflect on what
we have learned about the GEN format, and to plan the next steps for this
exciting community. Please join us to raise any questions, issues, ideas and
concerns. Our goal is to learn as much as possible about your experiences
and expectations, and work toward improving our community together.

Register: http://vu.cs.sfu.ca/vu/tlnce/PublicReg/

Access the seminar directly:
http://vu.cs.sfu.ca/vu/tlnce/cgi-bin/VG/VF_dspcnf.cgi?ci=112

2.  Annual GEN Member Survey

It's time for the Annual GEN Member Survey! Please take a few minutes to
respond to questions about your participation in the Global Educators'
Network.
http://infopoll.net/Live/surveys/s13704.htm

Last year at this time we conducted a similar survey and found it extremely
useful for learning about our members' experiences, needs and interests.

We also encourage you to discuss the survey questions further in our
Reflections and Next Steps seminar (see above). The survey will remain
active until October 5, 2001.

We would like to extend a special thanks to InfoPoll Customer Services of
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia for hosting our GEN member survey. InfoPoll is a very
effective tool for creating and managing web-based surveys for education.
http://infopoll.net

3.  Success in Online Learning Communities

What makes online learning communities successful? Our 12 communication
students engaged us in a lively discussion to address this question during
our July three week seminar series. Their research was based on Andrew
Feenberg's model for moderating online seminars, and what better way to
learn more about the model than to invite the author to join the discussion!
What a memorable experience for everyone, and a terrific example of a
successful online learning community.

Read a summary of each week:

Week 1: http://vu.cs.sfu.ca/vu/tlnce/cgi-bin/VG/VF_dspmsg.cgi?ci=106&mi=108
Week 2: http://vu.cs.sfu.ca/vu/tlnce/cgi-bin/VG/VF_dspmsg.cgi?ci=107&mi=129
Week 3: http://vu.cs.sfu.ca/vu/tlnce/cgi-bin/VG/VF_dspmsg.cgi?ci=109&mi=177

4.  GEN @ TAPPED IN

GEN Lounge @ TAPPED IN (N2615) http://www.tappedin.org

* Susanne Nyrop talks about GEN @ TAPPED IN
GEN member Susanne Nyrop is this month's featured perspective at TAPPED IN,
where she talks about her involvement in bridging GEN and TAPPED IN
activities.
http://www.tappedin.org/info/perspectives/sn.html

* GEN International Tour: No Passports Required!
As part of the fun and learning at the TAPPED IN Carnival on August 8th,
travel guides Susanne Nyrop and Sylvia Currie took participants on a
simulated flight to visit GEN members in various parts of the world. Our
airplane was lively with travelers from Denmark, Hungary, Australia, Sweden,
Netherlands, Canada, and United States. Thanks to GEN members Yvonne Waern,
Marije van Amelsvoort, Ian Marquis, Frances Long, and Dianne Allen for
waving their country flags and being such gracious travel hosts, we had a
successful trip and a safe landing!

* Open House
At our GEN Open House we are pleased to find educators dropping in from all
over the world to learn more about our seminars and activities.  Every
Thursday morning throughout from 10 - 10:30 a.m. (Pacific Time) meet
educators, share your current projects and ideas, and learn more about GEN
activities. Open House is casual, so just come and go as you please.

* Virtual Field Trips
Are your colleagues interested in learning more about GEN? Consider
arranging a Group Virtual Field Trip by contacting Sylvia Currie
(currie@idmail.com). Your group will be guided through the GEN Virtual-U
Campus.

5.  GEN Educators Perpetual FAQ

Our popular "All KINDS of Questions" seminar lives on in the ongoing
"Questions & Answers" conference. Questions and links to answers are
incorporated into our GEN Educators Perpetual FAQ:
http://vu.cs.sfu.ca/vu/tlnce/VUusers/genadmin/GEN_Educators_FAQ.html

You may continue to contribute questions and answers to the GEN Educators
Perpetual FAQ at:
http://vu.cs.sfu.ca/vu/tlnce/cgi-bin/VG/VF_dspcnf.cgi?ci=31
No questions are too simple...many are too difficult!

6. Manage Your Membership

Have you misplaced your password? No problem! Send a quick note to
currie@idmail.com

Become a GEN member and register for current and upcoming seminars at:
http://vu.cs.sfu.ca/vu/tlnce/PublicReg/

To remove yourself from this mailing list,
send mail without a subject heading or signature to
        majordomo@sfu.ca
with the following command in the body of your email message:
        unsubscribe global-educators-network

or from another account,
        unsubscribe global-educators-network <your address>

To subscribe to this mailing list,
send mail without a subject heading or signature to
        majordomo@sfu.ca
with the following command in the body of your email message:
        subscribe global-educators-network

7. About the global-educators-network mailing list

This mailing list is for GEN Updates and occasional announcements. If you
have questions about GEN, would like to propose a seminar topic, or need
help with your password, please send e-mail to Sylvia Currie,
currie@idmail.com

Read GEN Update on the Web:
http://www.sfu.ca/~scurrie/global-educators-network/

GEN Update is prepared by:

Sylvia Currie, Coordinator
Global Educators' Network
currie@idmail.com
http://vu.cs.sfu.ca/GEN/

Free seminars...by online educators, for online educators

Spread the word about GEN. Please forward this message!