GEN Update June 30, 2002

GEN Update
June 30, 2002

View seminar descriptions and become a GEN member:
<http://vu.cs.sfu.ca/vu/tlnce/PublicReg/>

In This Update

1. ePortfolio Workspaces Begins Tomorrow!
2. Join Us in the CourseReader Café
3. Upcoming Seminars: Moderators Needed!
4. Summer Construction Zone at GEN
5. GEN @ TAPPED IN
6. Tips for GEN members
7. Manage Your Membership
8. About the global-educators-network Mailing List

1. ePortfolio Workspaces Begins Tomorrow!
Dates: 1 - 28 July, 2002
Moderator: Jim Vanides

Portfolios can be a powerful learning tool, both for students and for
education professionals. Join us in this GEN discussion and share your
views, experiences and questions about the purposes, benefits and challenges
of electronic portfolios. During this four week seminar we will address
questions such as:

    * Why Portfolios?
    * What is unique about electronic portfolios?
    * How can you design an approach to ePortfolios that will meet your
needs?
    * What are the issues and how do we tackle the challenges of
ePortfolios?

This seminar will be facilitated by Jim Vanides, a Learning and Technology
Consultant who emphasizes a "Learning First!" approach to facilitating
strategic technology planning. During Jim's 23 years in engineering and
program management at Hewlett-Packard, he created and implemented many
programs including "Connected Learning Communities" and "Hands-On Science".
Recently, Jim completed an Electronic Portfolio Workspace conceptual design
project for pre-service teachers at Stanford University's Teacher Education
Program.

GEN members may access the seminar directly:
<http://vu.cs.sfu.ca/vu/tlnce/cgi-bin/VG/VF_dspcnf.cgi?ci=169>

2. Join Us in the CourseReader Cafe
The CourseReader Cafe is an informal gathering place for educators around
the world who are interested in trying out and advancing this open source
software. We encourage you to drop in with your questions, comments,
suggestions, and feedback.

CourseReader is designed to provide free and equitable access to
internet-based education worldwide. By using CourseReader, or by becoming
involved in its development, you will help to bring educational
opportunities to people everywhere!

GEN members may access the CourseReader Cafe directly:
<http://vu.cs.sfu.ca/vu/tlnce/cgi-bin/VG/VF_dspcnf.cgi?ci=149>

Also, GEN members now have an option to participate in seminars through the
Virtual-U or Internet CourseReader software. The seminars are linked
together using VU-CR Connector, giving GEN members more flexibility in
reading, organizing, and contributing to seminar discussions. Instructions
for subscribing through CourseReader are posted in each seminar
welcome message.

3. Upcoming Seminars: Moderators needed!

Our list of proposals for GEN seminar topics is growing steadily. Keep those
ideas coming!

We have received many more seminar topic proposals than offers to moderate.
If you have an interest in a topic listed below, consider volunteering to
lead a GEN seminar. It is a great experience and you will receive plenty of
support. To propose a GEN seminar topic or to volunteer to moderate, send
email to Sylvia Currie <currie@idmail.com>.

- Biggest Bugs - What Bugs You About Anything Related to Online Education!
- The Benefits and Drawbacks of Peer-to-Peer Technologies
- Tips and Tools for Conducting Virtual Tours
- Professional Development Opportunities for Online Teaching
- Online Language Teaching
- Plagiarism
- Research Tools
- Helping Students to Succeed in Online Studies
- Use of Internet Technologies and K-12 Policy Changes
- Assessing Student Learning in the Online Classroom
- Wireless Solutions for Online Learning
- Collaborative Learning Strategies
- Copyright Issues
- Virtual Schools
- Design and Integration of Interactive Media
- Open Source Part III
- Use of Mind Mapping Tools
- Video Production
- Strategies for Collaborative Writing
- Problem-Based Learning
- The Latest on Learning Objects
- Do it Yourself Series (programming, web design, cascading style sheets,
quizzes, etc)
- The Use of BLOGS in Online Education

4. Summer Construction Zone at GEN
Over the next few months you will notice some construction going on at GEN.
As our membership and number of events increase we are finding it necessary
to rework the structure of our archived seminars. If at any time during this
phase you require access to a past seminar please do not hesitate to contact
Sylvia Currie <currie@idmail.com>

In addition, we are working to provide easier access to resources generated
through GEN discussions, and to improve the GEN website and registration
process. Exciting times ahead! Thanks for your patience!

5. GEN @ TAPPED IN
GEN Lounge (N2615) <http://www.tappedin.org>

* Summer Carnival
Date: Wednesday, July 17, 8am to 8pm PDT
The theme for this summer's carnival at Tapped In will be of interest to all
GEN members -- Online Learning. During this full day of fun and learning you
are guaranteed to meet fascinating people and engage in some lively
discussions.

This year Tapped In is offering a "Certificate of Participation" to add to
your professional portfolio. See you at the Carnival!

6. Tips for GEN members

Question: "How do I know when new messages have been posted to a
conference?"

When you enter the VGroups conference area at GEN, the list of conferences
will display according to the options you have set. Beside each conference
name the number of new messages, and the total number of messages are
listed.

You may set your personal options to view only conferences with new messages
in your list. Go to the top left pull-down menu, select "Joined with Unread
Messages", and click the "list" button.

When you open a VGroups conference, all new messages are highlighted with a
"new" symbol.

Email notification of new messages is a feature that has been requested by
many GEN members. While we're working on solutions to meet this need, here
are a few ways to help you keep tabs on activity in a seminar:

1) Bookmark a current seminar to reduce clicks through the Virtual-U Campus.
This makes it easier to revisit the seminar throughout the day.

2) If you're a regular participant in GEN, you might even consider setting
GEN as your default page when you launch your browser!

3) Some browsers allow you to add a link to the the personal toolbar or
hotlist. You can name this shortcut "GEN seminar" and change the URL as new
seminars that interest you are in progress.

Please share your GEN questions and tips!
<http://vu.cs.sfu.ca/vu/tlnce/cgi-bin/VG/VF_dspcnf.cgi?ci=31>

7. Manage Your Membership

Have you misplaced your password? No problem! Send a quick note to
currie@idmail.com

Become a GEN member and register for current and upcoming seminars at:
<http://vu.cs.sfu.ca/vu/tlnce/PublicReg/>

Subscribing and Unsubscribing from this List

Send mail without a subject heading or signature to
        majordomo@sfu.ca
with the following command in the body of your email message:
        subscribe global-educators-network
        or
        unsubscribe global-educators-network

8. About the global-educators-network mailing list

This mailing list is for monthly GEN Updates and occasional announcements.
If you have questions about GEN please send e-mail to Sylvia Currie,
currie@idmail.com

Read GEN Update on the Web:
<http://www.sfu.ca/~scurrie/global-educators-network/>

GEN Update is prepared by:

Sylvia Currie, Coordinator
Global Educators' Network
currie@idmail.com
http://vu.cs.sfu.ca/GEN/

Free seminars...by online educators for online educators.
Spread the word about GEN. Please forward this message!