GEN Update September 15, 2002

GEN Update
September 15, 2002

View seminar descriptions and become a GEN member:
<http://vu.cs.sfu.ca/vu/tlnce/PublicReg/>

In This Update

1. Assessing Student Learning in the Online Classroom Begins Tomorrow!
2. Upcoming Seminar: Plagiarism
3. Past Seminar: PD Opportunities for Online Teaching
4. Participate in GEN Seminars Using CourseReader
5. Welcome all MOOMers!
6. Sustaining the GEN Community
7. GEN @ TAPPED IN
8. Tips for GEN members
9. Manage Your Membership
10. About the global-educators-network Mailing List

1. Assessing Student Learning in the Online Classroom Begins Tomorrow!
Dates: 16 September - 13 October 2002
Moderator: Michael Barbour

* What are the challenges of integrating assessment strategies into online
learning communities and collaborative work?
* What new opportunities for assessing student learning are afforded by
online technologies?

In this 4-week seminar we will discuss online assessment strategies and
tools to support learning. Our facilitator, Michael Barbour, has been active
in several online learning initiatives through Vista School District and
Memorial University of Newfoundland, including the "Connecting the Home and
School through Electronic Dialogue" research project.

GEN members access the seminar directly:
<http://vu.cs.sfu.ca/vu/tlnce/cgi-bin/VG/VF_dspcnf.cgi?ci=183>

2. Upcoming Seminar: Plagiarism
Dates: 4 - 24 November 2002
Moderator: Steve Scadding

Plagiarism is certainly in the news! A number of notable cases have been
reported in the press in recent months. However, plagiarism isn't just a
student issue. What can educational institutions do to detect, or
preferably, to prevent plagiarism? How do we promote a culture of academic
integrity in our institutions?

This seminar will be facilitated by Steve Scadding, Acting Director of
Teaching Support Services at University of Guelph, Ontario, Canada. Steve
has been busy researching and experimenting with plagiarism detection tools
in his large online cell biology course.

*Note that "Developing Online Programs: The University of the West Indies
Experience", originally scheduled for October, will be offered at a later
date.

3. Past Seminar: PD Opportunities for Online Teaching
The timing must have been prime. The moderating was top notch. And the topic
hit home for many GEN members! The 2 1/2 week "PD Opportunities for Online
Teaching" seminar facilitated by Jim Woodell and Elaine Garofoli was lively
and informative. A special thanks goes out to all seminar participants who
contributed so many resources for us to explore.

The seminar is archived at:
<http://vu.cs.sfu.ca/vu/tlnce/cgi-bin/VG/VF_dspcnf.cgi?ci=185>

There are several topical summaries in the archives. Check for message
subject headings than include the word SUMMARY. Also, GEN member Nick Noakes
created an incredible conversation map of our seminar discussion. A full
summary document of the PD Opportunities seminar is available in PDF format
at: <http://vu.cs.sfu.ca/vu/tlnce/VUusers/nnoakes/GEN_PDOLT15Aug02.pdf>

4. Participate in GEN Seminars Using CourseReader
GEN members have an option to participate in seminars through the Virtual-U
or Internet CourseReader software. The seminars are linked together using
VU-CR Connector, giving GEN members more flexibility in reading, organizing,
and contributing to seminar discussions. Instructions for subscribing
through CourseReader are posted in each seminar welcome message.

Learn more about CourseReader <http://www.coursereader.net>
Learn more about CR-VU Connector
<http://virtual-u.cs.sfu.ca/vuweb.new/connector.html>

5. Welcome all MOOMers!
GEN would like to extend a special welcome to educators enrolled in
"Facilitating Online Learning by Moving Out of the Middle" offered through
the Concord Consortium. This course, commonly known as "MOOM", features the
Global Educators' Network as an exemplary professional online community for
learners to explore as part of their course assignments. Graduates of the
program receive a special invitation to practice their new skills by
moderating a GEN seminar.

For more information on the Concord Consortium visit:
<http://www.concord.org>

6. Sustaining the GEN Community
As GEN approaches the end of financial support from TeleLearning Network of
Centres of Excellence, we are actively seeking sponsorship opportunities and
suggestions for continuing our free seminar series.

GEN has grown steadily since its launch in November, 1999 to over 1,800
educators, trainers, students, administrators, consultants, software
developers, and researchers from 44 countries. We organize unique
opportunities to both novice and expert elearning practitioners who are
devoted to the advancement of elearning practices.

If you have suggestions for the future of GEN, please contact Sylvia Currie,
Coordinator <currie@idmail.com>.

7. GEN @ TAPPED IN
GEN Lounge (N2615) <http://www.tappedin.org>

* TAPPED IN Tours and Tips
Take a guided tour of TAPPED IN and learn more about the tools available.
Tours are held on most Tuesdays and Saturdays. Check the TI calendar at
http://www.tappedin.sri.com/cgi-bin/calendar/calendar.cgi

* Virtual Field Trips
Are your colleagues interested in learning more about GEN? Consider
arranging a Group Virtual Field Trip by contacting Sylvia Currie
(currie@idmail.com). Your group will be guided through the GEN Virtual-U
Campus.

8. Tips for GEN members
Where are the GEN archives? You may have noticed that the GEN seminar list
at <http://vu.cs.sfu.ca/vu/tlnce/PublicReg/> no longer includes direct links
to past events.

While we reorganize our archives and our self-registration process, members
may continue to access the archives by going directly to the Conferences
Building <http://vu.cs.sfu.ca/vu/tlnce/cgi-bin/VG/vgstart.cgi>. From the
Conference List pull-down menu at the top left, select "all available
conferences".

9. Manage Your Membership
Have you misplaced your password? No problem! Send a quick note to
currie@idmail.com

Become a GEN member and register for current and upcoming seminars at:
<http://vu.cs.sfu.ca/vu/tlnce/PublicReg/>

To subscribe or unsubscribe from this list, send mail without a subject
heading or signature to
        majordomo@sfu.ca
with the appropriate command in the body of your email message:
        subscribe global-educators-network
        or
        unsubscribe global-educators-network

10. About the global-educators-network mailing list
This mailing list is for monthly GEN Updates and occasional announcements.
If you have questions about GEN please send e-mail to Sylvia Currie,
currie@idmail.com

Read GEN Update on the Web:
<http://www.sfu.ca/~scurrie/global-educators-network/>

GEN Update is prepared by:

Sylvia Currie, Coordinator
Global Educators' Network
currie@idmail.com
<http://vu.cs.sfu.ca/GEN/>

Free seminars...by online educators for online educators.
Spread the word about GEN. Please forward this message!