GEN Update February 9, 2003

GEN Update
February 9, 2003

View seminar descriptions and become a GEN member:
<http://vu.cs.sfu.ca/vu/tlnce/PublicReg/>

In This Update
1. Transfer Credit Issues for Online Courses and Programs Begins Tomorrow!
2. Upcoming Seminars
3. Online Courses About Teaching Online
4. eJobs Project SIG
5. GEN Membership Drive: Invite your friends!
6. Global Educators Community Connection
7. Manage Your Membership
8. About the global-educators-network Mailing List

1. Transfer Credit Issues for Online Courses and Programs Begins Tomorrow!
Dates: 10 - 23 February 2003
Moderator: Finola Finlay

* Have you taken an online course, and run into problems with transfer
credit?
* Have you developed or delivered an online course and worried that the
students who take it might be denied credit at their home institution?
* Have you assessed online courses and can offer helpful guidelines to
follow for those whose task it is to grant or deny credit?

Please join us for a discussion on what students, online course providers,
and traditional institutions can do to ensure that issues of transferability
do not create roadblocks to online learning. This seminar is for
administrators, students, faculty, curriculum developers, researchers
...well, everybody!

About our facilitator...
Finola Finlay is the Associate Director of the British Columbia Council on
Admissions and Transfer, where her responsibilities include supporting the
good work of provincial articulation committees, encouraging institutional
innovation in transfer policy and practice, developing user-friendly
materials on transfer and articulation for students, advisors, faculty and
administrators, and liaising with system committees and initiatives.

Access the seminar directly:
<http://vu.cs.sfu.ca/vu/tlnce/cgi-bin/VG/VF_dspcnf.cgi?ci=222>

2. Upcoming Seminars
Mark your calendar!

EduSourceCanada
Dates:  24 February 2003 - 9 March 2003
Moderator: Griff Richards

Plagiarism
Dates: 10 - 30 March 2003
Moderator: Steve Scadding

Virtual Schools
Dates: 1 - 14 April 2003
Moderator: Michael Barbour

Moderating GEN Seminars
Dates: 5 - 25 May, 2003 (tentative)

If you have an idea for a GEN seminar, Event, or Special Interest Group,
please contact Sylvia Currie <scurrie@sfu.ca>. Keep those proposals coming!

3. Online Courses About Teaching Online
During the final week of the Online Courses About Teaching Online seminar
facilitated by Nick Noakes and Sarah Haavind, we took a virtual tour of
online courses to gain insights into how some educators are honing their
online teaching skills. We were also fortunate to have John Collins and
Daniel Pratt as guests during week 2 to share the history of their Teaching
Perspective Inventory <http://teachingperspectives.com> and to field our
questions.

The seminar remains open for final reflections, and we invite you to add
more online courses to our list for our future virtual travels.

<http://vu.cs.sfu.ca/vu/tlnce/cgi-bin/VG/VF_dspcnf.cgi?ci=219>

4. eJobs Project SIG
The new eJobs Project Special Interest Group (SIG) is now underway. We are
bringing forward highlights from the Job Search seminar, and beginning to
work through a plan that will bring GEN members' ideas for an eJob service
to life. This is a unique and exciting opportunity for the GEN community!

Access the SIG directly:
<http://vu.cs.sfu.ca/vu/tlnce/cgi-bin/VG/VF_dspcnf.cgi?ci=224>

The summary of our Job Search seminar has now been posted at:
<http://vu.cs.sfu.ca/vu/tlnce/cgi-bin/VG/VF_dspmsg.cgi?ci=217&mi=126>

5. GEN Membership Drive: Invite your friends!
At GEN we've always encouraged our members to spread the word about our
community. During these times, as we contemplate the future of GEN and
engage in discussions with potential sponsors, it is more important than
ever that we maintain a steady growth in our membership. A full schedule of
free seminars brings in many new members each month. For example, with your
help in distributing seminar announcements we've welcomed 95 new members
just since January 1st! So please continue invite your friends to join.
Forward this message!

6. Global Educators Community Connection
This is a new section to GEN Update where we will be featuring events that
are of interest to online educators. And of course we encourage our members
who visit other communities to spread the word about GEN! If you have ideas
and items for our Global Educators Community Connection listing, send email
to Sylvia Currie <scurrie@sfu.ca>

@ LearningTimes
<http://learningtimes.org>
Interactive WebCast: WebQuests - An Instructional Design Model for Online
Learning with Terry Fuller and Karen Belfer
February 19, 2003 10:00 - 11:00 AM Pacific Time

@ Commonwealth of Learning
<http://www.col.org/programmes/conferences/copyright_virt_con.htm>
Email-based conference: Copyright and the Web with Robert A. Schad and Wanda
Noel
10 February - 2 March, 2003

7. Manage Your Membership
Have you misplaced your password? Send a quick note to
scurrie@sfu.ca.

Become a GEN member and register for current and upcoming seminars at:
<http://vu.cs.sfu.ca/vu/tlnce/PublicReg/> Select the box beside current or
upcoming events of interest, then click the nearest "register" button. (You
may need to scroll.)

To subscribe or unsubscribe from this list, send mail without a subject
heading or signature to
        majordomo@sfu.ca
with the appropriate command in the body of your email message:
        subscribe global-educators-network
        or
        unsubscribe global-educators-network

8. About the global-educators-network mailing list
This mailing list is for GEN Updates and occasional announcements.

Read GEN Update on the Web:
<http://www.sfu.ca/~scurrie/global-educators-network/>

GEN Update is prepared by:

Sylvia Currie, Coordinator
Global Educators' Network
scurrie@sfu.ca
<http://vu.cs.sfu.ca/GEN/>

Free seminars...by online educators for online educators.
Spread the word about GEN. Please forward this message!