PROSPECTIVE GRADUATE STUDENTS
Intellectual and academic freedom, together with an open and inclusive community, are the foundations of Simon Fraser University. In the School of Computing Science, academic and research excellence is highly valued. We encourage students to embrace risks and take bold initiatives in their academic and research pursuit.
In recent years, the School of Computing Science has ranked high internationally; among the top 50 and top 75 computer science departments in the world by the ARWU University Ranking in 2014 and 2015. In 2015, Maclean's ranked SFU's School of Computing Science as one of the top five computer science departments in Canada.
"Our faculty members are research leaders with a worldwide reputation for research excellence"
Research awards and honours received in recent years include:
- Tier I Canada Research Chairs (Jian Pei, Cenk Sahinalp)
- BC LEEF Chair (Ryan D'Arcy)
- IEEE Fellows (Jian Pei, Jiangchuan Liu)
- SIAM Fellow (Pavol Hell)
- Sloan Fellowships (Leonid Chindelevitch, Alexandra Federova)
- NSERC E.W.R. Steacie Memorial Fellowship (Jiangchuan Liu)
- Inaugural SIGKDD Test of Time Award (Martin Ester)
- IEEE ICDM Research Contributions Award (Jian Pei)
- IEEE TCDE Rising Star Award (Jiannan Wang)
- NSERC Discovery Accelerator Awards (11) (Funda Ergun, Mohamed Hefeeda, Jiangchuan Liu, Torsten Moeller, Greg Mori, Jian Pei, Cenk Sahinalp, Anoop Sarkar, Ping Tan, Richard Zhang)
- Google Faculty Awards (5) (Alexandra Fedorova, Greg Mori (2), Anoop Sarkar, Rob Cameron)
- IBM Faculty Awards (2) (Jian Pei, Anoop Sarkar, Arrvindh Shriraman)
- Editor-in-Chief of major international journals (3) (Jian Pei, Richard Zhang, Pavol Hell)
SFU researchers in science and engineering hold the sixth highest (2012 data from Higher Education Strategy Associates - HESA) H-index, an indicator of impact of publications, among researchers in universities across Canada.
The School of Computing Science currently has more than 220 graduate students enrolled in the PhD, M.Sc., and the SFU-ZJU Graduate Dual-Degree Programs, as well as the newly launched program: Professional Masters Program in Big Data.
In the past ten years, more than 25 of our PhD graduates went on to hold faculty positions in North America and worldwide; three hold the prestigious Canada Research Chair positions. Our graduate students have won numerous best paper awards at international conferences, as well as three SFU Govenor's Gold Medal (one winner for top PhD graduate per year across the university) in the past eight years, and an NSERC Innovation Challenge Award. Many of our graduates move on to work at companies such as Amazon, Apple, Electronic Arts, Facebook, Google, and Microsoft, while some continue their academic paths and land postdoc positions in top research labs at Stanford, MPI, University of Washington, etc.
The School offers programs in some of the most dynamic areas of computer science with access to state-of-the-art research labs. The School maintains ongoing research collaborations in the Americas, Europe, Asia, and Australia, and our faculty members also partner with industry and government to develop real-world applications with the potential to lead to breakthrough products and technology.
The SFU campuses are located in Metro Vancouver, which is often considered one of the world’s most liveable regions. Students are close to the downtown nightlife, and within easy reach of many ethnic restaurants and cultural amenities, all in a stunning mountain and ocean location.
The School of Computing Science seeks to attract outstanding candidates into our graduate program. Our standard of quality is among the most competitive, and we provide an excellent work environment along with a lively, research-conducive atmosphere.