SFU is among Canada's fastest growing research intensive universities in Canada. Our sponsored research income has grown by 86% over the past 10 years, reaching $167.3M in 2020.
Research at SFU spans eight faculties, covering a broad range of fundamental, interdisciplinary and applied research topics, as outlined in our Strategic Research Plan. On average, SFU researchers publish 2,500 journal articles per year, over 40% of which appear in the world's top 10% journals (Source: Scopus).
SFU's research is guided by a strategy for wide-reaching collaborations at the local, national and international levels. This strategy supports knowledge generation and transfer across many sectors. SFU has an international footprint of partnerships with 2947 institutions in 125 countries.
SFU is consistently ranked among Canada's top universities in major national and global ranking systems:
- In Maclean's Rankings, SFU has been ranked 1st every year in the Comprehensive University category, with the exception of 2014, when it was ranked 2nd.
- Times Higher Education ranks SFU as the world's #1 university for impact on sustainable cities and communities.
- The 2018 Times Higher Education Best Golden Age Universities ranks SFU 34th in the world and 3rd in Canada.
- SFU ranks 13th in Canada in the latest QS World University Rankings, ranking 8th in Canada for citations per faculty. SFU consistently ranks in the top 200 worldwide for research impact.
- In its 2020 World University Rankings, Times Higher Education ranks SFU tied for 11th in Canada.
- The 2019 CWTS Leiden Ranking ranks SFU 4th among Canadian universities for percentage of international collaborative publications.
- The 2019 U.S. News Global Rankings places SFU in the 12th spot in Canada, based on its research output, impact, and reputation, supplied by Web of Science data. The rankings also places SFU among the top 10 universities in Canada in 6 subject areas.