SFU is among Canada's fastest growing research intensive universities in Canada. Our sponsored research income has grown by 86% over the past 10 years, reaching $167.3M in 2020.
Research at SFU spans eight faculties, covering a broad range of fundamental, interdisciplinary and applied research topics, as outlined in our Strategic Research Plan. On average, SFU researchers publish 2,500 journal articles per year, over 40% of which appear in the world's top 10% journals (Source: Scopus).
SFU's research is guided by a strategy for wide-reaching collaborations at the local, national and international levels. This strategy supports knowledge generation and transfer across many sectors. SFU has an international footprint of partnerships with 2947 institutions in 125 countries.
SFU is consistently ranked among Canada's top universities in major national and global ranking systems:
- In Maclean's Rankings, SFU has been ranked 1st every year in the Comprehensive University category, with the exception of 2014, when it was ranked 2nd.
- World’s Universities with Real Impact (WURI) 2021 rankings put SFU third in the world for its entrepreneurial spirit (up from seventh) and 24th overall (up from 34th) among innovative universities – the number one university in Canada and the only one within the top 100.
- Times Higher Education places SFU within the top 10 worldwide for impact on sustainable cities and communities and within the top 50 overall in the 2021 Impact Rankings. SFU placed in the top 10 worldwide for three key Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs): climate action (SDG 13); sustainable cities and communities (SDG 11; and peace, justice and strong institutions (SDG 16)
- In its 2022 World University Rankings, Times Higher Education ranks SFU tied for 8th in Canada. SFU has moved up to the top 201-250 universities in the world--previously the university was within the 251-300 world ranking.
- The 2021 QS World University Rankings positioned SFU within the top-300 in the world, moving up 25 places year-over-year and maintaining our rank as 13th in Canada. In addition, SFU ranked in 8th Canada for citations per faculty and consistently has ranked in the top-200 worldwide for research impact.
- The 2020 Times Higher Education Best Golden Age Universities ranks SFU 40th in the world and 3rd in Canada.
- The 2021 U.S. News Global Rankings places SFU in the 12th spot in Canada, based on its research output, impact, and reputation, supplied by Web of Science data. The rankings also places SFU among the top 10 universities in Canada in 7 subject areas.