- News & events
- About us
- Contact us
- Somers Research Group
- Faculty and Staff Resources
Lecturer Adjunct Professor
Lecturer, Adjunct Professor
- BLU 10511
Areas of interest
HIV/AIDS, Hepatitis C, women’s health, sexual and reproductive health outcomes, epidemiology, community-based research methods
- PhD (Health Sciences), Simon Fraser University
- MPH (Health Sciences, Global Health), Simon Fraser University
- Bachelor of Arts (Community Health Sciences), Brock University
Kate Salters joined the faculty as an instructor in 2012 and was appointed as an adjunct faculty member in January 2019. Dr. Salters is a Research Scientist with the Epidemiology and Population Health program at the BC Centre for Excellence in HIV/AIDS. Her work focuses on epidemiological investigations into HIV- and hepatitis-specific health outcomes, treatment outcomes, and patterns of health care engagement. Dr. Salters completed her PhD in Health Sciences from Simon Fraser University in 2017 and her doctoral work focused on the epidemiology of cancer among women living with HIV. She has been working in the field of HIV/AIDS for the previous 11 years and has developed expertise in community-based research methods and clinical epidemiology. She is passionate about conducting epidemiological research that engages community in order to inform clinical practice and policy to address health inequities.
Publications and Activities
• Closson, Kalysha, Taylor McLinden, Thomas L. Patterson, Oghenowede Eyawo, Mia Kibel, Kiffer G. Card, Kate Salters et al. "HIV, schizophrenia, and all-cause mortality: A population-based cohort study of individuals accessing universal medical care from 1998 to 2012 in British Columbia, Canada." Schizophrenia Research (2019).
• de Pokomandy, Alexandra, Ann N. Burchell, Kate Salters, Erin Ding, Nadia O’Brien, Dada Mamvula Bakombo, Karène Proulx-Boucher et al. "Cervical cancer screening among women living with HIV: a cross-sectional study using the baseline questionnaire data from the Canadian HIV Women’s Sexual and Reproductive Health Cohort Study (CHIWOS)." CMAJ open 7, no. 2 (2019): E217.
• Parent, Stephanie, Kate Salters, Lindila Awendila, and Lianping Ti. "Hepatitis C and pregnancy outcomes: a systematic review protocol." BMJ open 8, no. 12 (2018): e024288.
• Smith, Danielle M., Kate A. Salters, Oghenowede Eyawo, Conrado Franco-Villalobos, Shahab Jabbari, Sam M. Wiseman, Natasha Press et al. "Mortality among people living with HIV/AIDS with non-small-cell lung cancer in the modern HAART Era." AIDS care 30, no. 7 (2018): 936-942.
• Salters, Kate, Mona Loutfy, Alexandra de Pokomandy, Deborah Money, Neora Pick, Lu Wang, Shahab Jabbari et al. "Pregnancy incidence and intention after HIV diagnosis among women living with HIV in Canada." PloS one 12, no. 7 (2017): e0180524.