Guest Lecturer

Guest lecturers at Simon Fraser University (SFU) usually occupy a temporary position of a non-continuing nature hired for less than one academic term including the following.

  • Guest Lecturers invited for less than 5 days - A work permit is not required, however an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) or Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) will be required to enter Canada.
  • Guest Lecturers invited for more than five days and less than one academic term - A work permit is required. 

Step 1 


Visiting Academic (Guest Lecturers for less than 5 days):
Department (Guest Lecturers for more than 5 days):
  • Send the letter of invitation and a copy of the foreign national's passport to

Step 2 

Faculty Relations: 

  • Pay the Employer Compliance Fee ($230) online and submit the Offer of Employment form to Immigration Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). 
  • Email a copy of the Offer of Employment Number and LMIA exempt code to the hiring department. 


  • Forward the Employment Number and LMIA exempt code to the visiting academic which is required for the work permit application. 

Step 3 

Guest Lecturer: 

  • Apply for a work permit. The following document and information will be required for the application. 
  1. Appointment letter 
  2. Support letter to the IRCC 
  3. Offer of employment number 
  4. LMIA exemption code 
Please follow the work permit guide below for more details. 

Step 4

Guest Lecturer: 
  • Apply for a Social Insurance Number (SIN) required for employment in Canada. SIN can be obtained from a local Service Canada office with a proof of ID and valid work permit.
  • Download the PDF below to learn how to obtain a SIN:

Work Permit Application

Where can I apply for my work permit?

You may submit your work permit application to the visa office responsible for the country or region where you live.  For a list of visa offices outside Canada, please visit If you are already inside Canada with a valid work permit, or you or your spouse or common-law partner hold a valid study permit, you may apply for your work permit from inside Canada. 

How can I apply for my work permit?

You have two options for applying for a work permit:

  • Apply online
  1. Determine your eligibility and create a Personal Checklist Code by answering the questions in the Come to Canada wizard at
  2. Apply online at after creating a GCKey or Sign-in Partner login ID, and registering with MyCIC. Enter your Personal Checklist Code when prompted.  

Scan and upload all supporting documentation. Supporting documents should be current and original (unless it clearly states photocopies are acceptable). If your supporting documents are not in English or French, you must include a translation from a certified translator with your application. Refer to your online checklist for acceptable file formats.

  • Apply by mail
  1. Download the required forms from
  2. Submit your application to the Visa Office or Visa Application Centre (VAC) responsible for the country or region where you live.

What documents do I need to apply for my work permit either online or by mail?

The documents you need to apply for your work permit will vary depending on where you are residing when you apply for your work permit. You will be required to submit standard IRCC forms plus supporting documentation.

Application item Application submitted outside Canada  Application submitted in Canada Tips
Document Checklist (required for paper-based applications only)

Document Checklist

(IMM 5488)

Document Checklist

(IMM 5556)

Place this document on top of your application package
Application Form

Application for Work Permit Made Outside of Canada

(IMM 1295)

Application to Change Conditions, Extend My Stay or Remain in Canada as a Worker (IMM 5710)
  • Complete the application form electronically (not by hand) 
  • Include the Offer of Employment Number in the application form)
Family Information

Family Information

(IMM 5707 or IMM 5645)

  • Include all family members even if they are not accompanying you to Canada 
  • Include the Family Information form listed in the application package for your country
Passport or travel document Photocopy all relevant passport pages. Include all pages with photos, signatures, stamps and other  markings. Photocopy all relevant passport pages. Include all pages with photos, signatures, stamps and other  markings.

The work permit will not be issued for longer than the validity of  your passport

Photo Online applications require a digital photo. Paper applications may requires 2 photos meeting IRCC requirements. Online applications require a digital photo. Refer to the photo specifications in your checklist
Fee N/A N/A The current fee for a work permit is $155.

Required supporting documents may include:

  • Proof you meet the requirements of the job being offered (ex. proof of education, work reference letters)
  • Offer of employment letter from the SFU Department offering you the position including
    • Employment start and end date
    • Amount of remuneration
    • Location
    • Nature of the position
  • Employment reference letters from current or past employer(s)
  • Employment records
  • CV/resume outlining relevant education, qualifications and work experience
  • Proof of funds (if you research funding is from an external source, proof of that must be submitted with your application)

Please consult the website of the Canadian visa office serving the country or region where you live to determine if you are required to provide additional forms or documents.

When is a medical exam required for a work permit?

You will need a medical exam if you have lived temporarily for 6 or more consecutive months in a designated country in the one year immediately before the date you enter Canada.  For a list of designated countries, please see

In some cases, there may be restrictions on the type of job you can hold unless you complete and pass an immigration medical exam prior to submitting an application for your work permit.  For a complete list of occupations requiring a medical exam, refer to

If a medical exam is required, you must make an appointment with a designated Panel Physician:

Can my spouse or common-law partner work in Canada?

If you hold a work permit, and are employed in a position listed at Skill Level 0, A or B in the National Occupational Classification, your spouse or common-law partner may be eligible for an open work permit.  If this is the case, your spouse must include proof that you are employed in a skilled occupation in their work permit application. 

See or contact Faculty Relations for more information.


Appointment/Support letter
Hiring department

Offer of employment #/LMIA exemption code
Immigration Services

Work permit

Immigration Services