Spring 2018 - EASC 400 D300
Selected Topics in Earth Sciences (3)
Class Number: 12789
Delivery Method: In Person
Course Times + Location:
Mo, We 3:30 PM – 4:50 PM
WMC 3531, Burnaby
Exam Times + Location:
Apr 16, 2018
8:30 AM – 11:30 AM
1 778 782-4846
Prerequisites:To be determined by instructor.
An advanced, in-depth treatment of a specialized area of earth sciences.
This course reviews the principles of Interferometric Synthetic Aperture Radar Remote Sensing and its Applications. An overview of the basic theory is presented to understand the capabilities and limitations of complex SAR data and their key land and marine applications. The course focus is on interferometric SAR (InSAR) applications, including generation of topographic maps as well as advanced time series analysis for measuring ground surface motion associated with seismic displacement, compaction related subsidence, volcanic inflation, and landslides.
Recommended courses: undergraduate courses in advanced mathematics, remote sensing, geophysics, natural hazards (or permission of instructor)
- Radar and SAR principles
- SAR marine applications
- SAR land applications
- InSAR principles I
- nSAR processing (interferogram formation, phase unwrapping, geocoding)
- InSAR applications (topography)
- InSAR applications (differential InSAR, 3D velocity)
- Advanced applications (Polarimetric InSAR andTomography)
- Advanced processing (Surface displacement time series)
- Advanced applications (Surface displacement time series – infrastructure) A
- dvanced applications (Surface displacement time series – natural hazards)
Two 1.5 hour lectures and 1 three-hour computer laboratory per week. Weekly assignments. 1 term research paper (topic either on evaluating/developing a novel method/algorithm or applied analysis of actual InSAR data).
- Lab Assignments 30%
- Research Paper 60%
- Class Participation 10%
MATERIALS + SUPPLIES:
Course Materials: The course does not use a specific textbook. A number of books area available that cover the course topics e.g.:
- Radar interferometry: data interpretation and error analysis. RF Hanssen. Springer Science & Business Media. 2001
- Radar Interferometry: Persistent Scatterer Technique. Author: BM. Kampes. Springer Science & Business Media. 2014
- Digital Processing of Synthetic Aperture Radar Data: Algorithms and Implementation. IG Cumming, FH Wong. Artech House
- Technology & Engineering. 2005.
- Massonet, D. & Souyris, J.-C. (2008): Imaging with Synthetic Aperture Radar. EPFL Press distributed by CRC Press.
-Henderson, F.M. & Lewis, A.J. (1998): Principles and Applications of Imaging Radar. Manual of Remote Sensing. Third Edition, Vol. 2. John Wiley & Sons. Inc.
-Olivie, C. & Quegan, S. (2004): Understanding Synthetic Aperture Radar Images. Scitech.
-Lee, J.-S. & Pottier, E. (2009): Polarimetric Radar Imaging. From Basics to Applications. CRC Press, Taylor & Francis.
-Rees, G. (2006): Remote Sensing of Snow and Ice. CRC Press, Taylor & Francis.
Ferretti, A., Monti-Guarneri, A., Prati, C., Rocca, F. & Massonet, D. (2007): InSAR Principles. Guidelines for SAR Interferometry Processing and Interpretation. ESA TM-19, ISBN 92-9092-233-8.
Powerpoint lecture materials, lab instructions, software manuals, and data sets required for the lab assignments will be provided.
SFU’s Academic Integrity web site http://students.sfu.ca/academicintegrity.html is filled with information on what is meant by academic dishonesty, where you can find resources to help with your studies and the consequences of cheating. Check out the site for more information and videos that help explain the issues in plain English.
Each student is responsible for his or her conduct as it affects the University community. Academic dishonesty, in whatever form, is ultimately destructive of the values of the University. Furthermore, it is unfair and discouraging to the majority of students who pursue their studies honestly. Scholarly integrity is required of all members of the University. http://www.sfu.ca/policies/gazette/student/s10-01.html
ACADEMIC INTEGRITY: YOUR WORK, YOUR SUCCESS