Parking during Convocation
Expect traffic and parking congestion during Convocation. Allow extra time to get to campus/ceremonies. Please drive safely and follow the direction of traffic staff.
Graduands and Guests:
Graduands and Guests have complimentary parking during Convocation.
North Lot is reserved for Graduands and Guests.
If North Lot fills, please follow the direction of lot attendants to overflow parking locations.
The Central Parkade is reserved for Graduands and Guests with special requirements.
SFU Parking Permit Holders:
North Lot is reserved for Graduands and Guests only.
Outdoor permit holders may park in Indoor lots - during Convocation only.
Reserved permit holders may still park in their reserved space. If the space is occupied please follow the direction of lot attendants.
Parking Congestion & Availability:
The start of the semester generally sees an increase in traffic congestion in the parking lots as students, faculty, and staff drive to campus more frequently, and remain on campus longer throughout the day.
Especially during the first few weeks, North Parking and East Parking will reach "lot full" status early in the day; in order to avoid frustration, please allow yourself extra time to park and arrive at your classes/offices.
1) If you arrive AFTER 9:30AM North Lot is often full, it may be best to proceed directly to East Parking or South Parking.
2) If you arrive AFTER 10:30AM or 11:00AM both North Lot and East Lot are often full, it may be best to proceed directly to South Parking.
3) If South Lot fills please follow the direction of parking & traffic staff and they will direct you to the nearest available parking.
Note that Outdoor Permits are valid in any of East Parking, North Parking, and South Parking; if you find one of those lots full, please proceed to one of the other lots within which your permit is valid. Click here for a map of the Parking Lots on campus.
In order to minimize congestion, Parking & Sustainable Mobility Services has done the following:
1) Added 25 parking spaces to North Parking.
2) Assigned staff to the parking lots to direct traffic to available parking during the first week of classes.
3) Organized overflow parking to be available should it be necessary.
September 2013 Parking Changes September 2013 Parking Changes - Summary, Feedback, and Board Approval (2.3MB Picture File)
Parking Announcement Effective Monday 01 November 2010, Parking Services became a component of SFU Ancillary Services....
Parking Enforcement Update - February 2010 Resumption of Ticketing - February 8, 2010