- Campus public safety
- Campus security
- Keys, cards & alarms
- Traffic safety
Watch for equipment and construction crews at the areas listed below and always obey signs, traffic controls, and traffic control personnel. Please remember that speed limits are lower in construction zones.
For questions regarding traffic notices, please contact Mike Spencer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
September 22nd Temporary Campus Roadway Interruptions for Terry Fox Run
Terry Fox Run & Walk
Friday, September 22nd (2023).
Refer to the map for run and walk routes that will be taking place along campus walkways, sidewalks, paths and roads. Areas will be impacted by run/walk activity from about 12:45pm - 2:00pm.
1. Pedestrians not involved in the event activities will be ushered to the side of walkways along the run and walk routes to allow participants to pass by.
2. Traffic will be temporarily stopped at the east end of Science Road to allow participants to pass by. Minimal delays can be anticipated.
3. Traffic will be stopped temporarily along South Campus Road and Gaglardi Way when runners and walkers are crossing these roads. Minimal delays can be expected. Refer to the map for participant crossing locations.
4. Parking along Nelson Way will be temporarily closed.
5. The (south side) traffic lane of Nelson Way in front of Discovery 1 will be temporarily closed to form part of the run route. During this time the north side traffic lane of Nelson Way will become a temporary two-way road.
6. Vehicle access to and from Discovery 1 loading will not be available during the run period (approx. 12:45pm-2:00pm).
Regular transit bus service and routing is anticipated during the event.
Watch for event signs, volunteers and traffic control personnel working along the run/walk routes.
Sep 25th - Nov (2023) Temporary East Campus Roadway Closures & Detours
The following outlines civil works related to upcoming development of UniverCity Parcel 24 that is anticipated to begin in 2024. The development of parcel 24 is separate of the following. Roadway interruptions will involve both UniverCity and SFU roadways surrounding the development site.
CIVIL WORKS ONLY
Beginning late September, early October (2023) with an anticipated completion "end of November 2023".
Pre-Phasing: Streetlight relocation work will be completed around the parcel 24 site.
1. The section of University Crescent between Highland Court and University High Street. (Phase 1)
2. The section of Highland Court between University Crescent and East Campus Road. (Phase 2)
3. The section of University High Street between University Crescent and East Campus Road. (Phase 3)
4. The section of East Campus Road between Highland Court and University High Street, including the transit loop. (Phase 4)
Refer to the map
Work to be completed:
1. Temporary road curbs and pull-outs will be constructed around Parcel 24 to create property lines for development. This is anticipated to be completed in phases, numbered 1 to 4. Refer to the map for locations identified as Phase 1, Phase 2 and Phase 3 & 4.
- Work will begin on the University Crescent (Phase 1) section of road first, move to Highland Court (Phase 2) next, then move to University High Street through East Campus Road (Phases 3 & 4).
2. A roadway realignment will take place between University High Street and East Campus Road.
- The roadway will be moved into the east section of the transit loop.
- This will see the removal of traffic islands and the intersection becoming a 90 degree turn in both directions.
3. The eastern section of the transit loop will be reconstructed to accommodate roadway realignment.
4. The project will include road drains being installed along the new curbs and there will be trenching along University High Street between the transit loop and University Crescent for storm pipe installation.
1. A full road closure of University Crescent between Highland Court and University High Street (Phase 2) can be expected while trenching across the road takes place at three locations. Full closures can be anticipated during the duration of this phase of work.
2. Single lane alternating traffic can be expected when work along Highland Court (Phase 2) is being completed.
3. During Phase 3 & 4 road works, and road realignment, the section of University High Street through East Campus Road between University Crescent and Highland Court may be limited and restricted to transit buses and authorized construction vehicles only. All public motorists (including the SFU community and UniverCity community) will be detoured between East Campus Road and University High Street via Highland Court, University Crescent and Tower Road during these periods. Single lane alternating traffic in this area can be anticipated also.
4. Pedestrians will be detoured to use sidewalks on the opposite side of the road during phase duration periods.
5. Cyclists will be detoured with vehicle traffic.
6. Traffic delays can be expected.
1. Full transit bus service is anticipated to and from the SFU transit loop throughout the project period.
2. "Phase" timing updates will be added to this notice as an UPDATE, as schedule timings are received. Please check back for updates.
Watch for construction signs, equipment, crew and traffic control personnel working in the areas outlined above and please watch for pedestrians and cyclists when travelling detour routes.
September 11th - 22nd East Campus Road Temporary Roadway Interruption
September 11th - 22nd (2023)
1. East Campus Road
2. University Crescent
Refer to the map.
Work to be completed:
Curbs and sidewalks for UniverCity parcel 19 will be installed. This will involve crew and equipment working along the road and roadside.
1. Single lane alternating traffic can be expected along East Campus Road and University Crescent. Delays to and from the Water Tower area can be expected. Minimal traffic delays can be expected.
2. Pedestrians will be detoured to use the sidewalk on the opposite side of the road while work is in progress on the west side in front of address 8750 University Crescent.
Watch for construction signs, equipment, crew and traffic control personnel working in the area.
March 2023 - Summer 2024 University Drive East Roadway Interruption
March 2023 - Summer 2024
University Drive East, between Tower Road and Nelson Way.
Refer to the map.
Work to be completed:
Construction of Burnaby Fire Department Fire Station 8.
1. The westbound right traffic lane will be closed during the project period to accommodate construction vehicles, equipment and related activity. The center westbound lane will remain open to traffic.
2. The Multi-Use Path (MUP) will be temporarily closed at times to accommodate construction activity. Pedestrians will be detoured during temporary closures of the MUP.
Watch for equipment, construction vehicles and crew working in the area.
Watch for temporary construction signs and flag person pedestrian & traffic control during the day when work activity is in progress.
For further information visit Burnaby.ca/FireStation8.